What brakes with 700c's

severnthheathen

Devout Dirtbag
I'm new to this retro stuff. What brakes would you recommend with a frame built for 27" but now converted to 700c's? Don't mind whether side pull or centre pull. The frame is a 1962 Severn Valley. Help please.

You need the measure from the centre of the caliper hole to the centre of the wheel rim, that measurement is the caliper reach you will need. Generally when going from a 27" wheel to 700c the reach will be quite long and the caliper choice is very small. Tektro R559's are the usual choice and they come with a nutted fix.

I have converted two older machines to 700c from 27" with no difficulty whatever. Both my Vikings in fact. There is only a 6mm difference in drop after all, and in both cases the Mafac brakes had enough range of adjustment.

The advantages are considerable: wider range of tyres as well as lighter and stronger wheels. On the other hand, I took my 27" wheeled Mottram out in the mud and muck today, and was glad of the fatter tyres,

Thanks guys, I have earmarked the nutted R559's as a possible solution (a good dual pivot brake by all account and not overly expensive). But I was wondering if there was anything with a bit more retro feel that folk were using. It looks like the Mafacs (Racer??) might be a possibility; I also like the look of the Weinmann long drop centre pulls. I'm picking brains to see what else is out there that will do the trick.

severnthheathen":wmk50dfp said:
Thanks guys, I have earmarked the nutted R559's as a possible solution (a good dual pivot brake by all account and not overly expensive). But I was wondering if there was anything with a bit more retro feel that folk were using. It looks like the Mafacs (Racer??) might be a possibility; I also like the look of the Weinmann long drop centre pulls. I'm picking brains to see what else is out there that will do the trick.

What reach do you need?

Some of the CLB calipers have a very long drop, I've just used some on a Rotrax rebuild which is converted to 700c, although they are not that easy to come by. You could try posting in the wanted section. The problem usually arises with frames built to allow for mudguards, a lot of these frames were already fitted with long drop calipers which are usually 47mm-57mm. Changing the wheels to 700c often doesn't leave enough reach with the old caliper.

There is a bit more choice with centre pulls like DiaCompe 750 or Weinmann 750's, Weinmanns are fairly plentiful.

All the bikes I've swapped 27's to 700's on have had Weinmann brakes and there's always been enough space left in the slot to adjust the brake block down far enough. Weinmanns are good because they look old enough to suit an older frame even if they aren't period correct for a 60's frame. As everyone has suggested, measure the distance from the pivot point to the middle of the braking surface and choose your calipers to suit. I've used dual pivots with 1990's Shimano 105 aero brake levers and I found them quite hard work compared to the Shimano single pivot calipers I took off for aesthetic reasons. I think the pull ratio is more suited to a modern brake lever - just so you're aware.

Some good advice here - thanks a lot for that. I've settled for DiaCompe 750 centre pulls. I really fancied Mafac Racers, but they all seem to be in the USA and cost a mint if you include postage. The DiaCompe 750's have a simple (almost classic) look that I don't think will look too out of place on a 1960's re-build. I got a pair for £34 posted. And besides, when it comes to a choice between home-cooking and hospital food, I think I'd prefer to put my faith in brand new "stoppers" than ones that might have seen better days. Cheers guys - thanks again for your help.

Back