Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:39 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:27 pm 
Retro Guru

Just starting to build up a mid 90,s alloy shogun frame for the winter have not got any idea about tyres !! all my bikes are 26"with big lumps of rubberon them :facepalm: any advice gratfully accepted :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:51 am 
Old School Grand Master

Conti Gatorskins! Try to fit a 25 or 28mm width if it will go. 23's are fine but a 25 is much better over the busted tarmac in the UK nowadays.
Mudguards are a good idea too - depending on whether you have frame eyes and space may define what tyre section will fit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:32 pm 
Retro Guru

I switched from 23mm Michelin Pro 3 slicks to 25mm Vittoria Rubino non-slicks last year and the difference was night and day.

My observations:
-Michelin Pro 3 are supposed to have good puncture resistance. Fine in the summer but I found the sticky surface picked up debris and during winter this became a problem and I suffered a LOT of punctures. It was a massive problem on the Kentish Killer where the road was washed over with all sorts of sharp stuff from the melting snow and I ended up pulling out after 3 frustrating punctures in my new tyres. Vittorias are definitely better. Whichever one you choose, pick a tyre with a conventional rubber surface and it won't pick up and carry any debris. Gatorskins are normal rubber too.
-I was warned against going from slicks to non-slicks. Michelin slicks were great in the dry and fine in the wet on a good surface, but they have a habit of slipping about at slow speed on rough surfaces like pot holes and drains in the cold when it's anything more than a little bit damp. I found having a bit of light tread makes that slow speed stuff around traffic a lot safer.
-23mm to 25mm. No noticeable drop in speed, but it is noticeably smoother both because you have a bit more tyre to soak up the bumps and because you can run them a few psi lower.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:15 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Schwallbe Marathon would be my choice. Bulletproof.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:14 pm 
Retro Guru

Can't comment on Conti Gatorskins - have used Conti Grand Prix 4 Seasons (700-23c) on my winter runabout anmd been satisfied.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:51 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I second that on GP 4 Seasons - a lovely tyre, really tough and fast but perhaps a bit on the decent side for commuting.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:05 pm 
Retro Guru

^ Also heard good things about GP4's but I've never tried them.