New experience

47p2

Senior Retro Guru
So with the wet cold weather upon us and the clock about to change we have to think about not letting what little fitness we've gained over the summer months completely disappear over the winter. Turbo trainer seems to be the most common and I have my original steel framed counterweight/fan type trainer from the 80s which I loathed then and even more so now. About 10 years ago I bought a Minoura trainer hoping to get back into cycling but it was so darned hard to pedal that it put me off for another 10 years. I remember back in the 80s trying to get hold of some rollers, but with no internet back then and lack of funds it never happened. I did however manage to acquire some conveyor rollers from the production line of the company that I worked and attempted to bodge up a set, but the rollers were too thin and the belt system unreliable so the idea was abandoned.

Last week I was offered some second hand Tacx rollers for a good price so I snatched them up and brought them home, well aware that they are difficult to use for the novice. A quick cycle in the lounge/hall doorway on Friday completing my worst ever mile and I decided I needed more than a few minutes to get the hang of these. Yesterday I took the rollers out to the garage and set them up beside the ramp, this gave me something that I could hold onto until I had the confidence to go it alone. I managed to do 10 difficult shaky miles gripping the handlebars as if my life depended on it and called it a day. Tonight I managed to do a wobbly 15 miles and came off the front roller for the first time. Concentration is definitely required all the time, unlike the turbo where you just sit there and pedal.

If anyone has any tips on roller techniques I would like to hear them

P1050684.jpg

47p2":3iq3jc58 said:
So with the wet cold weather upon us and the clock about to change we have to think about not letting what little fitness we've gained over the summer months completely disappear over the winter. Turbo trainer seems to be the most common and I have my original steel framed counterweight/fan type trainer from the 80s which I loathed then and even more so now. About 10 years ago I bought a Minoura trainer hoping to get back into cycling but it was so darned hard to pedal that it put me off for another 10 years. I remember back in the 80s trying to get hold of some rollers, but with no internet back then and lack of funds it never happened. I did however manage to acquire some conveyor rollers from the production line of the company that I worked and attempted to bodge up a set, but the rollers were too thin and the belt system unreliable so the idea was abandoned.

Last week I was offered some second hand Tacx rollers for a good price so I snatched them up and brought them home, well aware that they are difficult to use for the novice. A quick cycle in the lounge/hall doorway on Friday completing my worst ever mile and I decided I needed more than a few minutes to get the hang of these. Yesterday I took the rollers out to the garage and set them up beside the ramp, this gave me something that I could hold onto until I had the confidence to go it alone. I managed to do 10 difficult shaky miles gripping the handlebars as if my life depended on it and called it a day. Tonight I managed to do a wobbly 15 miles and came off the front roller for the first time. Concentration is definitely required all the time, unlike the turbo where you just sit there and pedal.

If anyone has any tips on roller techniques I would like to hear them

P1050684.jpg
Have tried turbo trainers before but find them to boring,i would rather get me thermals and waterproofs on if only for a short run than stare at walls,it's just not the same.

Used rollers in the 70's, suddenly everything just clicked, I stopped staring down at the front wheel on the rollers and it became second nature............then the boredom set in :(

Do you stare down at the front wheel?

The rollers need to be further apart IMHO

Shaun

Took that picture yesterday Shaun, I spread them a tad more tonight before using them.

I don't stare at the front wheel but keep watch a few feet ahead

That's good then, maybe increase cadence a touch to avoid weaving but not so much that you start bouncing. Believe me it will suddenly click and you will wonder how other people say it's hard to ride rollers :D

Check again that the contact with the front wheel is the same as it would be on the road. Remember it's the caster action that keeps you upright.

Shaun

I used a spirit level to ensure the front axle was in the centre of the roller :shock: :LOL: :LOL:

Just relax. If you're uptight and nervous then it will be difficult. Familiarity will soon settle in and it will soon be as easy as riding a bike ;)

If you've ever watched the film on Eddie Merckx taken while at his prime there is a session with him on the rollers and you won't believe his RPM (or the amount he sweats!).

I used to be able to ride no hands and take off a jersey etc. I haven't ridden them for years now but might have a go again soon - if the drive belt is still up to it!

Just keep riding them as with practice you'll be riding them no handed soon as roolers really improve your balance & bike handling skills.

Your front roller needs to go forward.

After a while you will ride them no hands. I used to read a book on mine.

They are no more engaging to train on than a turbo, you are just in the honeymoon period.

The turbo gives a better training loads and I find if I vary the programme the turbo offers a range training choices but I never train for more than an hour indoors.

Nob":3phy36wc said:
Just keep riding them as with practice you'll be riding them no handed soon as roolers really improve your balance & bike handling skills.

Surprisingly I still can't ride mine no-hands after 22 years!! They are, however, great for developing balance, handling and supple pedalling - as a CX racer I regard them as a brilliant training aid.

Oh, and they do a great job of acting as a van der Graaff generator - when you come to a stop, be careful what you steady yourself against, as a good earth connection will result in a hefty static electricity shock. Been there, done that!

David

Back