Colnago Re-issue

FINNEY1973

Senior Retro Guru
What are peoples perceptions or opinions of Colnago's decision to re-issue the Master? Is this simply due to market demand and the price of many 2nd hand frames? And what about materials used in the new ones, better, worse or comparable to the original issue frames? http://www.colnago.com/master/ Same can apply to Cinelli and the Supercorsa... http://www.cinelli.it/site/index.php/pr ... id=1&sub=3

As nice as they are to look at and am sure to ride, to me the romantic feel of the original still holds bigger appeal but I'd like to read your opinions...

It's not a re-issue AFAIK - it's been in continuous production. They have however, issued the Decor colour schemes as options this year again, where last year's were all '70s homage (e.g. the Saroni red). Only change was a few years ago when the swapped the rear end to Carbon, and then back a couple years later. The Precisa steel forks have also always been an option.

The Master has remained in continuous production, with a variety of small little modifications over the years. Ernesto used to have one of his old framebuilders come in for a few weeks a year to produce enough frames for the whole season. The production was done on the carousel production line in the basement of Ernesto's house, right across the street from the Colnago offices.

+1
Not a re-issue. The craftmaship, materials and technology were always there.

Ah ok, cheers guys - I saw an advert for the 30th Anniversary limited edition and assumed it was a special build but just sounds like an anniversary paint scheme.

BigFoz":32eobxg5 said:
It's not a re-issue AFAIK - it's been in continuous production. They have however, issued the Decor colour schemes as options this year again, where last year's were all '70s homage (e.g. the Saroni red). Only change was a few years ago when the swapped the rear end to Carbon, and then back a couple years later. The Precisa steel forks have also always been an option.

^^^^^^
What he said. I think a fair few of the big-name Italian builders still, in these times of carbon and aluminium, have a traditional (rather than "revived") steel model somewhere in the line-up, chrome, fancy paint and all.

David

Yes the Colnago Master seems to be in continued production since its inception.In the late 90s I raced on one and entered a race in the north Newcastle way.Before I got changed for the race I put the bike down on some grass at the back of some parked cars.As I came out of the signing on, some one came over and said they had reversed their car over my bike so I picked the bike up and there was not a mark on it and everything looked A1.The chorus equiped mapei painted master was fine much to my relieve and I managed 9th in the race.
Whilst living and racing in Holland in the mid 1990s I heard stories of Belgian riders deliberately getting their Colnagos run over by the local farmers tractor so they could claim the insurance money!
On youtube there is five minutes of footage showing the Master being brazed on a carousel ,finish filed and fork assembly and brazing.
cheers Kermisking

Back