Ti road frames

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
I have a strange hankering after a ti road bike, perhaps as Big Birthday present so it may be as well to get a decent run up. I'd prefer an older one (so if anyone has a Merlin Extralight in 63 or 64 please feel free to get in touch), but otherwise what is there that should be considered?

The important thing is never let go of it. There's mundane considerations like keeping a good supply of copper slip handy and maybe once a month pulling out the seatpost to avoid it sticking but you've a bike for life. Scratch it as much as you like and it'll buff out. I had a ( American ) Rock Lobster CX frame painted black and disguised to look like a sit-up-and-beg Raleigh Roadster from the 30s. It was my favourite work bike. Looked like it weighed 35lbs but actually weighed 19!

The Van Nicholas stand at the bike show was pretty impressive :cool:

Ti-Cycles

http://ticycles.com/TCF/road-hyak.html

this is the Guy that i rode with in Moab after NAHBS, Dave has some really good ideas, if i wanted Titanium this is probably where i'd go. i realise you asked about used/retro stuff but everyone else is linking to new stuff i thought i'd join in.

titanium realistically means a US frame, Dave's prices i think are not particularly high for the off the shelf frames which he does in the larger sizes, ok there would be the usual import costs etc but that's a given these days. having spent some time with him he comes across as a realist regarding all the changes that are going on the bike industry regarding new standards etc, and seems quite a forward thinker.

i was never a fan of litespeed, merlin yes, lynskey are nice but daft(er) money, alot of the others seem unknown for long term quality or are stupidly (but maybe justifyingly) expensive and have long waiting lists.

what i would say is do it, you deserve it, i really enjoyed the process of getting my custom build, it's awesome. :D

Back