Aware me on some good time trial rims (aero profile)

otherself

GT Fan
Raleigh Fan
Feedback
View
Aluminium, not carbon.

I know the Mavic CXP33's are a manistay but they are getting awfully expensive. Anything under £30?

Is the Halo Aerorage anygood?

I never liked them cxp rims, always found them a pain to build. The halo rim is actually quite good, sold a few sets when I was in the trade.

The prices have gone a but mad on rims though, mavic seem worse than others, when I was looking for aero rims though I settled with velocity rims, I got them sent to me from brick lane bikes in London, the service was really good, also when I then visited the shop a few months later I got talking to the guys and they showed me their stockroom which included the velocity rims, must have been about 100 in there, all different finishes and colours and drillings, and I think they were only about 37 quid a rim maybe a little more but they built up nice and easy. They also sell another brand called H-plus Son, they seem to be popular, think they might be more money though

Well if you go retro you can get Campag Shamals, Ventos, Atlanta (maybe complete wheel), Araya, wolber rims, Assos but quite rare as are Ambrosio Durex Aero rims.

If you go the Araya way do not buy any polished rims! these rims where prone to cracking around
the eyelets due to the braking forces on the V rim, Araya updated their rims and made a new heat treated
version which was a dark grey colour, these grey rims did not suffer from cracking at the eyelets.

Tub or clincher? For the latter, Rigida DP18s have a nice deep V section and build into a strong reliable wheel. Definitely not a climbing wheel though - they weigh a ton!

David

Halo and IRD are rebadged Kinlin's. For aero 30mm deep there is the Kinlin XR-300 cheap but not less than £30. The 27mm deep Kinlin XR-270 is cheaper. Kinlin also do the 38mm deep XR-380. These are all black though.

There are not many Kinlin dealers but I am one which is why I know about these rims. There is always the velocity Deep V, H plus Son archetype plus many others. All good rims though are more than £30 new.
All velocity rims cost more than £37. They start at £47 for machined sidewall rims. I am velocity dealer as well but my stock is a bit run down at present. I need to order more.

The Shamal wheel on a Royce hub is worth it for the hub alone.

Latest posts

Back