Decal Removal

Meejoir

Retro Guru
Having been bitten by the retro bug last year when I revamped and old Raleigh Equipe, I am now sorting out an another oldie for my good lady, as she was impressed at how mine turned out.

My Raleigh Equipe was dipped and stripped prior to being painted, so I didn't have to worry about removing the tattered and torn decals, however, as the paintwork on the bike I'm doing for Mrs M is in pretty good nick, I am only wanting to get rid if the 1980s decals which are scraped and looking tatty. The bike in question is a nothing special really, but has every day use potential as a commenter. It's a mixte, a Raleigh Rhapsody.

Cheers.

If they are vinyl then a hairdryer and tweezers are your best bet, the adhesive will soften in the heat and they 'usually' peel straight off. If they are very old and break up then a wipe down with white spirit will help.

If they are waterslide and varnished its more difficult. Nail varnish remover may break down the varnish but it can be a long job. Once the protective layer of varnish is off then T.Cut should finish them off :)

Keep a close eye on the paint though.

Cheers Robbied196, my Mrs is about to wonder why I'm taking her hair dryer and a bottle of turps off to the shed....I'll see how it goes.

Back