Rear dropout and derailleur adjustment

47p2

Senior Retro Guru
Ever since my daughter keeled over on the Peugeot earlier this year (blame the clipless pedals) the gear changes have not been the same. I tried a few times to rectify the problem but the SIS gear changes were never quite as crisp as they used to be so I decided that apart from a buckled wheel which I had repaired, something must have gotten bent.

I decided to purchase a couple of tools to assist in my plight for perfectly smooth Shimano 105'ness gear changes

Firstly I bought a Park Tools derailleur hanger alignment gauge (DAG-2), this was set up and showed the hanger to be out by quite a bit, so after resetting the hanger things improved but it still wasn't perfect
P1050672.jpg

I then bought a Cyclus Drop Out Alignment tool (less than half the price of the equivalent Park Tools FFG-2)
P1050670.jpg

So this morning I set up the Cyclus and it showed the rear dropouts were indeed out by a few mm, after a bit of frame bending it was looking much better
P1050666.jpg

P1050665.jpg

So I refitted the wheel and reset the hanger again
P1050667.jpg

P1050669.jpg

I adjusted the derailleur and it is now working as it should, so I will have the Peugeot for a while longer
P1050668.jpg

You will be gutted if you ever try the Drop out tools on a modern carbon frame, they are never in line. A while back I did that to a McLaren Venge from specialized, 5mm out of alignment...

Now I am intrigued, can a modern carbon frame actually be realigned in the same way ? I assume not , or am I wrong ?

Not as far as I am aware.........how it comes out of the oven, that's it !

The Cycling mags give a score to the geometry when they test them.

Shaun

Very interesting Mr Bond,

So to carry out the checks and modification - both tools are required - and in your case, the hanger was out of alignment, as were the dropouts. Does the Park tool adjust the hanger alignment? How did you 'reset' it?

And a further nosey question - can the dropout alignment tool be used to increase/decrease rear spacing ie spread 126mm to 130mm etc?

Thanks,

Richard

Back