Period correct brakes - 1946

bikewithnoname

Dirt Disciple
Hi guys,

First post so be gentle.

I'm building up a 1946 Maclean’s road frame and have pretty much sourced everything bar the stem, bars and brakes. I've tried to keep everything period correct but am not sure what brakes I should be looking for, any help you can provide in letting me know what brakes would be period correct would be great.

bikewithnoname":2bs99u6e said:
Hi guys,

First post so be gentle.

I'm building up a 1946 Maclean’s road frame and have pretty much sourced everything bar the stem, bars and brakes. I've tried to keep everything period correct but am not sure what brakes I should be looking for, any help you can provide in letting me know what brakes would be period correct would be great.

Burlite, B&T Manx, CLB, Doherty, GB, Lytalloy (1947 on), MAFAC (a little later) and Universal(Mod 39) is another, these are examples of brakes makers listed in the contemporary cycling catalogues, although they're not commonly available today (perhaps with the exception of MAFAC).

If you want to keep it British you'll need a GB bar and stem too.

Jon.

bikewithnoname":1r4ag6qd said:
thanks, would the "hidiminium" GB brakes be correct?

Hiduminium (developed by Rolls Royce before WW2 - High Duty Aluminium) was the material they were made from: I think GB brakes were only available from '48 though.

Adherence to the concept of period correct, especially with frames from this period can be very frustrating (from the point of view of obtaining parts - especially in good condition).

Jon.

Thanks for the suggestions all.

I'm trying to be as period correct as possible, but as you say finding the parts is the key. If something comes up and is '51 rather than '46 I think I'll go for it. I'm not looking for NOS stuff which makes finding parts a little easier, I want the bike to look as old as it is, my focus is patina rather than polished chrome.

Time to start trawling eBay I guess!

Back