FRAME DETECTIVES,i need your help !

dorset boy

Senior Retro Guru
Thought when i got this frame that once i scraped away the thick hand painted silver paint i would find something, but alas no.All i know is that we think its a 531 frame, the seat tube is 26.8 and it has english threads and 004 and a 7 on the BB and 004 on the forks.The forks and chainstays are much beefier than my 531 Raleighs and the seatstays are slimmer,so please any thoughts on this would be great.
Thanks Mike.

Nothing really jumps out, though it looks well made. Probably late '70s to early '80s based on the selection of braze-ons and the over the BB cable routing. How were you able to determine that it si %#!? << is what happens when you hit the caps and type 531

Steven

looks nice , i have a Ian May with same cut outs on bottom bracket cant remember if there any numbers stamped on it though

As Lewisfoto says....... sort of at the crossover between the late 70's and the early 80's

70's = over the BB cable guides and wider Chinelli MC fork crown with tangs

80's = top tube cable guides

So my guess would be late 70's :) nice neat frame.

Shaun

lewisfoto":275i9xv4 said:
Nothing really jumps out, though it looks well made. Probably late '70s to early '80s based on the selection of braze-ons and the over the BB cable routing. How were you able to determine that it si %#!? << is what happens when you hit the caps and type 531

Steven
The person i got it off was told it was 531 but thats not very reliable i know.My freind has a Ron Cooper frame with which we compared weight, my frame was heavier but my forks were slightly lighter.Also the lug work seems to turn up on 531 frames and i have been looking at 100s on the internet!
Mike.

Looks like a standard Raleigh or Carlton clubman type frame with Reynolds 501 tubes

Raleigh / Carltons had 3 slots in the bottom bracket IIRC..........They were also run by accountants who liked to see the frames numbered properly :D

Shaun

Midlife":196idsg6 said:
Raleigh / Carltons had 3 slots in the bottom bracket IIRC..........They were also run by accountants who liked to see the frames numbered properly :D

Shaun
Could'nt put it better. :D

Assuming your friend's Ron Cooper is made from 531, this one could be Columbus? Heavier frame/lighter forks (in comparison to 531) might suggest that....and the way the stays meet the rear dropouts.

Yes the Ron Cooper is 531 and was made for my friend back in the late 70s. I know this frame is'nt one but its a dead ringer for Joop Zoetemelks 1979 Mercier !
Thanks.

Back