Raleigh frame identification ###pictures added###

Dale cannon

Senior Retro Guru
I've finally found the 'shot in' seat stay Raleigh frame that I've been looking for but it has a couple of details that I've not seen before.

The Three brake cable guides are on the left not above the top tube.

The spear point lugs are solid and not cut out in relief.

The Campagnolo dropouts and stays appear to be chromed underneath the repaint that's also making the W Serial number difficult to make out.

I only have phone pictures due to the frame being at work and my camera being at home just to make it that little bit harder.

If any Raleigh experts can shed any light on the frames identity I would be eternally thankful

Attachments

• IMG_0135-1.jpg
    IMG_0135-1.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 853
  • IMG_0134-1.jpg
    IMG_0134-1.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 852
  • IMG_0131-1.jpg
    IMG_0131-1.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 852
  • IMG_0130-1.jpg
    IMG_0130-1.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 853
  • IMG_0130-2.jpg
    IMG_0130-2.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 853
Re: Raleigh frame identification

OK, I'm no expert, but I will try and help!

How much of the frame number can you see?

Which model is it?

I guess the phone pics you have may be a good start..

There's a few things there that don't look very Raleigh. I know I don't have top-end Raleighs but it's unusual to see Campagnolo drop-outs. The head tube lugs are different to the normal type you find on Raleighs. On top of that, the shot-in seat stays are unusual. The bend at the bottom of the fork like that suggests an earlier fork but the braze-on shifter bosses say it's either late 80's or 90's.

What diameter is the seat post? Can you weigh the frame and fork separately? That should give us an idea of what it's made of. If it helps, I've got a 531 frame and 501 fork in bits and I'll weigh mine.

I would say this is an early to mid 80's 531c frame, (Campagnolo dropouts and shot in stays were not used on 501 frames) the only real anomaly is the top tube cable guides on the left side of the tube rather than the top, it is possible that they may have been moved by the owner :?:

These are the shot in rear stays on my Raleigh 1985 Competition 531c (they look similar to yours)

The lugs are different to yours, as mine are cut out. The drop outs on mine are Gipiemme.

The cable guides on this are also on top of the top tube (can't recall ever seeing a Raleigh with side mounted ones...)

I have a 1986 Raleigh Team Corsa with Gipiemme drop outs, and these are chromed with paint over the top...

I won't be able to weigh either till I'm back at work. It feels pretty light for a large frame but I only have my Cannondale aluminium frames for comparison. I've seen some Ti frames with similar lugs and I've also seen Panasonic/Weinman replica team bikes with Campagnolo drop outs and the left hand cable guides.
I will take a 27.2mm post back with me, I recall reading somewhere that 531 only came in that size but I've idea if that's true or not.

Attachments

• team-pro-frame83.jpg
    team-pro-frame83.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 811
  • frames84.jpg
    frames84.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 811
And this one sold by Hilary Stone. This one seems to have the more intricate brake bridge that my frame has that also seems different to others I've seen.

Attachments

• Raleigh-Team-Replica-1983-dets-1.jpg
    Raleigh-Team-Replica-1983-dets-1.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 809
The frame number on the BB will help to date......the cable guides on the left side of the top tube were pretty common.........right hand for the front brake and left for the rear travelling down the left side of the top tube to the brake, which for Campag was the left side.

No holes for the Portacatena puts it 80's.......

Shaun

Back