US Imports and VAT

Deax

Devout Dirtbag
Folks,

once again customs have my delivery from the US - I'm well used to paying fees that sometimes come to more than the purchase price..

The VAT on these '88 Croce brakes comes to £40. I've not paid it yet to release the package. According to the government website, 2nd hand goods are liable, but there are exceptions.

The challenge process involves form filling - there appears not to be a number to call to discuss the charge.

Any similar experiences out there? should I be paying VAT on 2nd hand bike bits coming in from the US? Is a challenge likely to to prove beneficial?

Thanks

Paul

Wiltshire, UK

Unfortunately, as you would expect they have tax pretty buttoned down for outside of the EU.

This is what they say:

All other goods

If you order or send purchased goods other than alcohol, tobacco, perfume and toilet water from a country outside the EU then you:

don't have to pay Excise Duty
may have to pay Customs Duty on goods with a value that exceeds £135
will have to pay import VAT on goods with a value that exceeds £15

Note that on all goods from outside the EU, Customs Duty is waived if the amount of duty calculated is £9 or under.

Import VAT rate

The percentage charged is the same VAT rate that applies to similar goods that are sold in the UK.

So it appears they will charge 20%. That would mean you paid £200 for the calipers?

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob the world :)

Thanks..

That was my interpretation, it was suggested by a friend that I might stand a chance..

I knew it was going to happen.. but I've been looking for a long time for essentially NOS calipers and levers that I decided to go for it and offset the price against time saved looking in the future....

The actual purchase price was decent value, but once you've added on shipping with decent insurance... then paid the customs clearance fees and VAT on the purchase AND that posh shipping...

They'd better be good!

I thought it should be worth arguing that the goods were made in italy EU, But I think you have to pay the crazy charges first.

not worth arguing they were made in Italy unless you know VAT was paid on them at the time, and you can prove it

You have to pay I'm afraid

Latest posts

Back