Raleigh BB and Headset thread sizes

brucewgordon

Retro Newbie
Evening all,

First post here, so be gentle with me!

I'm building up a Raleigh special (I always had Raleigh bikes as a kid, so felt the need!), based on a Team Banana (the mass produced one) frame. Its going to end up looking a bit like my old Europa I had in the mid eighties.

Anyway, I would like to change the bottom bracket for a sealed unit, and know that it isn't always straightforward with a Raleigh frame. Like wise the headset. Can anyone help me with a suggestion for a suitable replacement BB and headset please? Frame is almost painted now (in the old Raleigh team colours, with some subtle alterations), so I'm getting ready to assemble.

Thanks in advance!

Bruce

Welcome :)

By then I would have expected that Raleigh would be using normal British sizes. The BB depends on he cranks you are using, and the headset is personal choice. I quite Tange Falcon / Levin headsets but others like Stronglight A9's ..............the world is your oyster :)

Shaun

Perfect, thanks for that Shaun.

Its all a bit new to me - for a relatively small project, there's a lot to learn!

I have a set of Campagnolo cranks - no idea what range they are from; they were a cheapish 2nd hand purchase on ebay!

Bruce

May I suggest - Good old Campag Record or Chrous sealed BB modern units would do the trick the double has a 102mm axel & the triple 111mm. Total Cycling still do them as I have ordered a couple of 111mm in the past so that I get nice clearance when sticking on my PMP cranks & Campag Pista Cranks on my projects.

Hi,
My banana has standard i.e 24tpi threads on both the bb (The cranks are suntour) and the steerer tube

Great, thanks for that - I'm going to take a piccie of the cranks I have in a mo, but how do I measure the bottom bracket size please? Width of the fitting, or width of the axle, and from where to where (!)?

Thanks for all the help so far.

Bruce

BB width is 68mm, the size of the axle depends on the cranks you are using, age / double / triple / track etc )

Shaun

Back