Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:31 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:05 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Just acquired f&f for Viking Severn Valley and thinking about bits. It's a circa 1962 model. What size seatpost - a standard? 27.2? help please.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:58 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Should be.........have you got one you can try?

Shaun

PS Nice bike and welcome :) I'm from the 70's and Viking resurrected the marque in 1978 with the first outing of the new Campag Gran Sport kit, that was nice too. I won't mention Jimmy Saville

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:42 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Thanks Shaun. Intrigued... I've not heard the one about Jimmy and the Viking ;)

Btw, the original (Wolverhampton based) Vikings ceased production in the late 1960s. There was a brief period when they were made in N Ireland (same marque, different company)... I think I read somewhere.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:42 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

I had one when I was a lad. Pale Blue and Flam Red contrasts. Sold it to a clubmate and he had it nicked from outside church of all places. It was always a nice ride and I did some good TT times on it occasionally. Here it is in 1962 in Blaenau Festiniog (I think!).

It was over 50 years ago!

The centre-pull brakes are rare, they're the Milremo ones which had a quick-release cam on the straddle wire cradle. I used Mafac levers with them though as I didn't like the Milremo ones, they felt to small for my hands. And look at the bars and stem - Cinelli steel with badges. Williams steel chainset 46/49, Gran Sport gears, Record LF hubs. Should have kept them..............

Should have kept it all :!: :facepalm:

And look at the front lamp on the front axle. Securely kept in place by a strategically fitted old toe strap. If you didn't do this they would self-eject on the smallest bump!

Note also the 'Reg Harris' shoes with side patches and heel, the rolled up jeans - and the yellow Campag bonk bag and Campag bottle - I've still got both of them!

Hooray!!!

Attachments:
VikingSevernValley1962.jpg
VikingSevernValley1962.jpg [ 158.97 KiB | Viewed 174 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:40 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hey Ned, What a classic photo. Thanks for posting it. A 46T inner ring - in North Wales - those were the days. If the photo was taken in 1962 then would the bike be a few years older than that? The frame I bought on ebay (not received it yet) is a 1962 model I think, the pump pegs look to be behind the seat tube on mine, and it has wrap-over seat stays.

I was also club riding in 1962 and I recognise the fashion for tubs in saddle roll and a bonk bag. At that time I was 15 yrs old and rode a Falcon San Remo 5-speed Huret with a steel Williams chainset; it had Mafac Racer centrepulls. I used to lust after the Viking Severn Valley. By the way - the bike looks timeless. I'm looking forward to the build :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:37 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Did someone say Falcon San Remo ? My Avatar is me on my Falcon San Remo hill climbing in the 70's :)

Shaun