Replacement Alloy Compact Chainset

sollophonic

Retro Newbie
I have just picked up a nice old Raleigh Record Sprint frame kitted out with some nice equipment like Shimano 105 brakes and chainset and Campag gears and levers.

Very nice and it will be in my possession soon, but I live in the Yorkshire Dale and want to get up most, if not all of the hills. I know a triple wont fit on this bike, (though if there is one that folk think might fit I'd love to hear) but was thinking about a compact double.

I am looking for something with a low inner ring, something that I can bail out on with a 25 tooth rear lower. Is there a compact alloy that comes with a 30 tooth or 32 tooth inner ring?

Will post pics of this fine old Reynolds frame iron when it comes.

The old Record Sprint had a compact crank (the gold one, not the black one) it just didn't have compact rings. In other words it's a 110mm BCD so you could just go out and buy a pair of compact rings and bolt them straight on....

Oh hold on the very first generation did not have detachable rings. Which do you have?

I think the smallest ring you can get on a compact is a 34t.

You can fit a triple; new bb, chainset, a triple front mech and a long cage rear and you're there.

If you do have the 110bcd version then the original rings were steel too so you would lose a little weight by changing them for some alloy compacts. Well not you personally but your bike :)

Oh forget all that I just re-read the op and see it has a 105 chainset which is 130mm BCD meaning you'll have to replace the chainset anyway to get a small chainwheel. IMO you may as well go triple.

Oh I am resigned to replacing the crankset.

If this bike can take a triple that opens up a few more options, just the shop I am getting it from told me that would be tricky with the BB/Front mech, which is a Campag Athena I think.

Hey, if I can put a triple on this bike, I'm a happy camper!!

They're right you would have to change the bb and front mech (probably the rear too) but it is doable....

sollophonic":1p4rn3li said:
I have just picked up a nice old Raleigh Record Sprint frame kitted out with some nice equipment like Shimano 105 brakes and chainset and Campag gears and levers.

Very nice and it will be in my possession soon, but I live in the Yorkshire Dale and want to get up most, if not all of the hills. I know a triple wont fit on this bike, (though if there is one that folk think might fit I'd love to hear) but was thinking about a compact double.

I am looking for something with a low inner ring, something that I can bail out on with a 25 tooth rear lower. Is there a compact alloy that comes with a 30 tooth or 32 tooth inner ring?

Will post pics of this fine old Reynolds frame iron when it comes.

I think compacts generally go down to 34T. Whereabouts in the Dales are you? Spa Cycles in Harrogate may be able to sort you out with something suitable.

David

David B":23pb4w10 said:
I think compacts generally go down to 34T. Whereabouts in the Dales are you? Spa Cycles in Harrogate may be able to sort you out with something suitable.

David

I am in Skipton, so I have a couple of good bike shops here.

Where I live we have some pretty serious hills, even getting out of Skipton some directions its a few steep ones. Currently I ride a bike with a Nexus 7 and the low winch in that gets me up most things.

Bike currently has a 52/42 with a low on the rear of 25 tooth. Just wondering if a 34 tooth inner with the 25 rear will go low enough?

You can fit a 33T on a 110BCD TA specialities make this ring in 5 arm bolt pattern. As for what is low enough that is for you to decide. Ideally you will maintain a cadence of 80 or higher on a climb like you would on the flats.

Stronglight make compact square taper chainsets - I have some in the shop. These take a 107mm JIS taper BB.

Back