Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:47 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:39 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I was in Denmark for the 95/96 winter, now that was testy weather!

Most sever weather gear shares basic design, and for cycling the question is your posture on the bike. Most non cycle specific clothes are fine for the upright posture on mountain bikes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:28 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

@ Montello

No, unfortunately I didn't win the lottery :cry: I am however a total old fusspot when it comes down to outdoor clothing. There's a winter on its way and if I don't keep riding I pile on the kilos, which sets me back for next season and I can't be doing with that roller stuff either.

Rapha reckon they make the finest cycling clothing in the world and I don't think they can make a claim like that without backing it up. Although I may have just been suckered by the fancy videos though :roll:, time will tell.

I'll do a write up on it sometime in January when I've had a good chance to try it out and as you said Merino is top quality and lasts for ages, which is what I expect from the fancy Rapha stuff.

I'm even looking forward to it raining now, some of those Onza muddy guards and I'm set to go, I don't have a strategy for the snow, but that might have to be the mountain bike and studded tyres combo or the cross country skis from the loft.

@ Highlandsflyer You're right there, cross country skiing and cycling put very similar demands on clothing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:27 am 
PoTM Winner
PoTM Winner

Double post

Last edited by Montello on Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:01 am 
PoTM Winner
PoTM Winner

I agree the right gear is key to enjoying sport in bad weather ... That said none of my kit was good enough to get me out the door in this mornings down pour. Turbo today ...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:40 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I've just been out and got soaked in the misty drizzle, I quite like that kind of weather. As long as I stay warm I don't mind getting wet if there is 2 cups of tea, a packet of biscuits and a hot shower at the end.

Had to ride with plastic bags on my feet though. :) 60km no cars, no cyclists, one dog walker, no wind, no view, big grin.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:58 am 

There was a response to a previous post re ALDI & Lidl clothing. It hadn't occurred to me to check them out but I was pleasantly surprised that in our local Aldi store they were selling cycling gear & bits.

I bought winter gloves £4.99; high viz shirt £9.99; winter trouser £13.99 and noted their merino wool base layers seemed to be half the price I'd paid for ones bought in a hiking shop a couple of years back. Being a snob had only shopped in Lidl/Aldi for Xmas champers :xmas-wink:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:58 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I hope you bought the champers as well!!

Just to conclude, I was in Decathlon this week and i bought three base layers for £15 - they are a good job and all colours and sizes are available. If you wanted to spend a little more money they have a range of base layers for sale but the 3 for £15 are the cheapest. My friend tested his this week and is impressed.

Richard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:31 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

70sBike wrote:
There was a response to a previous post re ALDI & Lidl clothing. It hadn't occurred to me to check them out but I was pleasantly surprised that in our local Aldi store they were selling cycling gear & bits.

I bought winter gloves £4.99; high viz shirt £9.99; winter trouser £13.99 and noted their merino wool base layers seemed to be half the price I'd paid for ones bought in a hiking shop a couple of years back. Being a snob had only shopped in Lidl/Aldi for Xmas champers :xmas-wink:

I tried to find the Merino base layers on their website but couldn't. Did you see them recently ?

I noticed that Decathlon do them too.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/techwool-ls- ... 88764.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:59 pm 

Hi bugloss

Yes you are correct in saying that Aldi don't seem to list their cycle stuff online.

I saw them in our local store about two weeks ago when I bought my bits. If you like I can let you know more information as I could pop down to it tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:04 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Thanks, I've sent mother on a reccie this avo, she's a shopaholic and jumps at any chance to drag Granddad round the shops. :lol: