Next Year's Retro Ronde

Johnsqual

Senior Retro Guru
Just noticed that next year's Retro Ronde Van Vlaanderen
will be on 14th of June, which happens to be the birthday of a quite well known Belgian cyclist.

Coincidence? Or are they planning something?

Johnsqual":1qemchmd said:
Just noticed that next year's Retro Ronde Van Vlaanderen
will be on 14th of June, which happens to be the birthday of a quite well known Belgian cyclist.

Coincidence? Or are they planning something?
Are we planning something?

I suppose if my daughter is still living in France I could do this and L'Anjou.

Well now you mention it, I live in Belgium and Merckx's birthplace is not too far from where I live (the region is Vlaams Brabant on the other side of Brussels from West Vlaanderen).

If there's any interest, I could put together a route that goes through the village (called Meensel Kiezegem) and we could do a little pilgrimage, maybe on the Friday or Saturday before the Ronde. There are a couple of local breweries we could visit too. I might even be able to provide a suitably Flemish dinner if people are interested.

Like I say, if there's interest let me know and we could start making some plans.

Johnny

yup, i could be very interested in doing this - could probably drag a couple of my chums along to this too.

sounds fabulous!

craig :cool:

Jonny, Count me in 100%.

I'll even bring a Belgian bike. I was thinking of taking the Eurostar to Brussels then biking the rest of the way.

Adam

and i'll bring my eddy merckx 7 eleven bike - might even get a nice pair of new rims fitted for the trip!

craig

Sounds good. I would need to arrange things with other Yorkshire members to make an economic car full - and co-ordinate with Ed Edwards as well to make sure we're not duplicating effort.

I'd take my Flandria homage machine.

Anyone from my area want to PM me to make a start on this?

However, as I've mentioned elsewhere, I could be making a holiday of this and Velo D'Anjou if my daughter is still in France - but it'll be worth seeing what the interest is from 'oop North.

Really? Great stuff, chaps, I'll pencil it in the diary and hopefully we can sort it out.

Bugloss: the area I live is about 60km from Brussels and can be reached by the Belgian cycling network:

http://www.fietsnet.be

I will be going to the Anjou Velo Vintage again in 2014 (28th/29th June).

I'll be taking my Roberts Road Classic and my Hobbs of Barbican - still plenty of room left in the team car.

Jon.

My bike's ready, just had a chat with it and he's well up for it.
I wonder what Mrs. Bugloss and the small Buglosians are going to say ? I'll probably have to swing it as an extension to a business trip somehow.

Edit: Flights to Londinium booked. Hope they don't change the date :roll:
Edit2: Hotel Cesar booked for the 14 & 15 right on the town square, can't wait.

Back