Help identify this old touring bike that I've fallen for . .

jonswin17

Retro Newbie
Hello, I've been perusing these pages for a little while, loads of great info and some comedy comments too.

I'm Jon, I live in Birmingham and about 12 months ago I sold my car as I was using it less and less and a bike more and more. I've got a mountain bike, a hybrid, a road bike and a folder. All very useful but I wanted (for me) an ideal commuter bike and thought about getting an old road frame with horizontal drop outs and making a single speed / fixie.

I found an old road frame on ebay and got it delivered for £70. It was ridable but needed some tlc. Anyway, after my first ride I knew I wouldn't be going down the single speed route. The bike was, just, I don't know, smooth, easy, quickish, comfortable. I was hooked. Smile on your face riding that took me back to being a teenager.

It felt like it had a bit of give in the frame - almost like suspension. I love the simplicity of the downtube shifters, the spread out riding posiion and most of all that it isn't a scally magnet and I don't really think about it once I've locked it up.

I've upgraded the brakes (putting my foot down was more effective), wheels, tyres (32 width to cope with terrible roads and canal path on my commute) and now it is a seriously impressive, if not terribly attractive commuting machine.

I would love to know who made the frame, I assumed it was a raleigh but the serial number looks to be a a digit too long and is located on the brake bridge and nowhere else. I've also been told by a couple of bike shops that they don't know what it is but it isn't a raleogh. It has BCM lugs and what I think is an original frame sticker that doesn't look raleigh ish.

I assume it is a touring bike as it is quite stretched.

Can anyone help?

Serial number is N090029457 and underneath that numberit is stamped 108n

I will try and attach a couple of pics.

I don't care what it is really, if it is a boggo standard cheapie or a rare one, it isn't going anywhere but I would really love to know. . .

Re: Help identify this old touring bike that I've fallen for

Sorry, trying to attach pics

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    403.5 KB · Views: 497

more pics

let me know if any more specific ones will help

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    375.1 KB · Views: 493
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    239.2 KB · Views: 493

We used to sell Steyr-Daimer-Puch bikes in the 70's and they had that type of brake bridge..........flat plate design.

Shaun

First glance at the stickers on the down tube reminded of a puch I rode in the seventies

Awesome thanks guys. A new avenue to google.

Don't think that's the right track fellas.

The serial numbers for those makers are numbers only.

Ah well, back to aimlessly looking at pictures of old frames to see if anything matches.

Don't want to be rude but I would say that a brake stay like that means its a bit of a cheapy. Cold still be nice but it won't be anything special. Don't pay 531 prices.
Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Hey

I really am not offended if its a cheapie. It's not the value of the thing, just where it came from, how old it is, bit more info.

A bit more info I have found.

A couple of the lugs say bcm and 72. They have a white or white gold outline where the tubing meets the lugs. Because of this I assume it is the original paint job.

It had weiman brakes, cables and levers

It has amount on the front fork for a dynamo

It has Sachs shifters.

The original steel wheels were weiman

It has a pump peg on the down tube, no bottle mounts and braze on cable guides under the top tube.

Don't know if this points us in any direction?

BCM cold be shorthand for Bocama a lug manufacturer, the 72 is the angle in degrees of the frame............looks European rather than UK to me. Is there anything date stamped on the kit?

Shaun

Back