199? Pug Competition 510

deprivedofsleep

Retro Newbie
So my neighbor is a lucky sod, finding this during a house clearance.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I can't seem to find any info on this exact model, it's Columbus Thron tubing. Groupset (what there is of it) is Campag Avanti.

I've said I'll look into getting it road worthy again for him, though at the moment I'm not really sure what direction to go in. I'm thinking just replace the missing crank, service the hubs and sling some tires on for now.

Condition is ok, few chips and scratches but it looks like they are from storage rather than mileage. Should I strip it down and do something to treat any present corrosion and prevent more?

Welcome any comments or advice.

Its really down to how much time and effort you want to go to. When I do a rebuild I strip the bike down to the frame and spray inside the tubes with GT 85. This protects the tubes against corrosion. Ive used Waxoyl in the past but its too thick and adds too much weight. On the outside I use Hammerites rust killer, Kurust, on the rust spots and clear coat over with clear nail varnish. I dont know if this is the best way to go about things but Im happy with the results. Its a nice bike, good luck with your build.

Ta, need to sort out a couple of rust spots on the car so can use the same stuff for that too!

From further digging it turns out this is a 1995 model. Just missed a set of Avanti cranks on ebay the other day so will see if I can source some more. Quite looking forward to getting it on the road.

Back