Fed up - the Retrobike rollercoaster ride continues

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
I am fed up :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Today started well, my Wife and daughter went out girly shopping leaving me and my teenage son at home (he is no trouble as long as he has his gadgets :) )

Decided to replace the freewheel on the Raleigh Clubman, the sun even came out :cool:

Had a little struggle getting the old freewheel off, used a metre long bar for extra leverage and bingo :cool:

All going well so far.................... :cool:

Replace the freewheel with a new one :cool:

Thought I would replace the ferrels on the gear cable, threaded the gear cable through the derailleur and tightened the cable clamp up. Gave it another tweak just to be sure and OH GOD, that horrid feeling when the clamp does not seem to hold :? It turns out the thread has stripped on the derailleur :(

Tried to fit a small nut on the inside but this fouls the mechanism and wont allow full gear selection.

Had a cry, a little hissy fit and a cuppa :D

Kissed the bike and made up with it :)

Fitted the wheel and spun it only to find the spindle/hub is bucked, not a little but a huge amount

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Must resist urge to batter bike with sledgehammer and go onto Chain Reaction bikes :facepalm: :oops: :oops: :oops:

You're not having much luck with that one are you?

How's the Merlin looking?

cce":2862c35s said:
You're not having much luck with that one are you?

How's the Merlin looking?

Its looking more appealing than this bloody thing :)

Merlin almost done, a bit of a triggers broom build, STX RC, LX, Deore and even some Acera (until I find some STX RC levers :oops:

Just need to get some cables and its all done :cool:

The History Man":1hikotga said:
Maybe stick to double glazing?

OK ???

Stick to double glazing shall I :?: :?: :?: ;) ;) ;)

Creeps towards the door.................................................... ;)

Chain Reaction bikes' will still have wheels that buckle and threads that will strip. Going out in a strop and buying new is not the panacea (droids?) you are looking for.

I once blew £1900 on 'new' and it was worse than the 'old' it was meant to replace. The 'old' in question is still here whereas the then 'new' went the way of the Friday Free ads. Ironically the then 'new' would now be 'old' and I'd be looking at the new 'new' to replace both the old 'old' and the new 'old' perhaps only to find out a week later that the new 'new' is as bigger disappointment as it was when the purchase of the old 'new' turned sour...

What mech was it?

You should be able to helicoil the thread on the derailleur. M4 (if that's the size) kits start at about £20 on eBay so it's probably best to find somebody who already has the kit unless you're in the habit of stripping M4 threads.

The coils themselves are cheap and it only takes a few minutes to do so a friendly engineering place should be able to sort you out for not very much.

Sounds like you have bent the rim :( best to stick the remover in a vice and turn the wheel. Holding the wheel on the floor and using a breaker bar tends to torque the rim sideways.........

Shaun

Back