Multitools vs airport security

Johnsqual

Senior Retro Guru
Hello,

Does anyone know if airport security are likely to take a
multi-tool off me if I try to bring it through in my hand luggage?

I know they're a pain in the @rse about daft stuff like nail clippers.

Cheers,

Johnny

50:50
I wouldn't risk it. Drop it in your bike bag.

I know a few friends who have had multi-tools taken off them, and a few who have taken some proper eye opening tools through with no problems.......

If found you will lose it - for definite. Hold baggage is the place for it.

Richard

Thanks chaps, pretty much what I was worried about.

I don't have any hold baggage (didn't want to give Ryanair any extra money). So I'll probably buy a cheapo tool when I'm there and hope it's good enough.

BTW, there used to be a scary Toppeak tool with a really nasty looking knife blade on it. Can't think what it would be useful for, except perhaps out of hand road rage incidents. I guess that wouldn't get through security.

Could you post it to your destination? And then post it home?

There are reasons for not taking these items on aircraft - google 9/11 and you will see what a Stanley knife can do. The guys doing the searches are only doing their jobs in difficult circumstances.

Richard

Yes, I understand. I got stuck at Manchester Airport because I had a second deoderant lurking in my bag that I'd forgotten
about, but in the end it's probably for the best that they are strict with this stuff.

In the end I should blame the terrorist morons, it's not the fault of the security people.

Of course, I wasn't proposing to take the tool with the knife on board, like I say I don't know what they were even thinking desigining a tool with a nasty looking blade on it in the first place, it's asking for trouble really.

Unfortunately, I'm leaving tomorrow (it's for the Eroica), so I can't post anything in advance.

Bike's already gone :facepalm: . I even gave them a small toolkit in case I want to do a bit of last minute fettling, but I always bring my multitool on my commute, just in case.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll either have to hope nothing goes wrong or buy something when I get there.

Cheers,

Johnny

Anyone going with you? Put it in their hold baggage.

I think that is almost every option, expect shipping it overnight as freight.

Richard

Very thorough :D

Only people going are the people taking my bike, I'm hoping to meet with some RB people when I am there.

I'll give the multitool to the Mrs as a souvenir when I get back :D

Back