R E W Reynolds frame

70sBike

Retro Newbie
Hi All

I came across this site as a result of searching around for info on retro bikes ... what a fantastic resource!

I went to a frame builder in Northampton called R E W Reynolds who built to my spec a reynolds 531 butted steel frame. Unfortunately I don't have the original invoice to date the frame but it would have been around 1978ish. The rest of the components are rather a mixed bag so to speak because in the days before the web, one had to search around bike shops in London or yellow pages for interesting bits n pieces.

I kitted it out with campag hubs with mavic rims; campag nuovo gear change; la prade seat post; concor saddle; mavic centre pull brakes I got in France; nice engraved GB bars

The complete bike was only used for a few miles before being put away. Thus the frame has retained its colour and has no chips.

I've now got the time to check it over - which I'm doing now - albeit with some great help with the local Halfords store who helped re-grease the bottom bracket (luckily I still had the special imperial tool for extracting the cranks [made by C J Aidie] which I lent them). I'm thinking of keeping the bars without tape as they look so nice. I hope that my legs will still know how to peddle after all these years and help with fitness as an alternative to hikes. I would like to participate in gentle bike events but are too nervous right now until I've done plenty of miles.

I can see that there are lots of photos on the site which I hope to add to soon .... ;)

bye for now

Attachments

• REWReynolds-signature_c1978.png
    REWReynolds-signature_c1978.png
    78.4 KB · Views: 482
  • mafac-front-brakes_c1978.png
    mafac-front-brakes_c1978.png
    127.8 KB · Views: 482
  • GB-bars_c1978.png
    GB-bars_c1978.png
    144.6 KB · Views: 483
  • campag_c1978 2.png
    campag_c1978 2.png
    122.1 KB · Views: 484
  • 531-label_c1978.png
    531-label_c1978.png
    102.5 KB · Views: 484
  • saddle_c1978.png
    saddle_c1978.png
    113.5 KB · Views: 483
  • REWReynolds(frame c1978)-bike-front-view_P1340049.png
    REWReynolds(frame c1978)-bike-front-view_P1340049.png
    143.7 KB · Views: 484
  • REWReynolds(frame c1978)-bike-rear-view_P1340048.png
    REWReynolds(frame c1978)-bike-rear-view_P1340048.png
    98.2 KB · Views: 484
Sounds like a very interesting bike, I've only ever come across one REW Reynolds before. Look forward to seeing some pics :)

Nice bike - why did you put it in storage? The old 'bought a car' story?

Richard

looks lovely , have owned 2 X R.E.W Reynolds myself but neither looked in as good condition as yours

TGR":2xvm1g3u said:
Nice bike - why did you put it in storage? The old 'bought a car' story?

Richard

yep + children came along ... then thought I'd leave it to appreciate for my pension :LOL:

if you do plan on riding it once it's had its MoT I would suggest using bar tape as the ride could feel slightly harsh and uncomfortable especially if you've not ridden in a while....they look like GB Ventoux bars, you can still keep their good looks by simply taping up to where the engraving starts

biggs682":3kb9hufd said:
looks lovely , have owned 2 X R.E.W Reynolds myself but neither looked in as good condition as yours

Just wondered if you still new your frame numbers to help me better date when I had mine made?

My frame no. stamped under the BB = 3990

Back