royal sunbeam ( pics added ) 1915 / 1923 ??

benjy

Retro Guru
hi all, the shop i volunteer at has a sunbeam in, so far we think it could be a royal black sunbeam ( gents massive frame ect), is there anyone on here that could date such a bike? ive only just started looking into it, theres the sunbeam site so will pop them an email,

Re: could anyone on here date a sunbeam ?

There's a helpful sunbeam group on Flickr. The royal sunbeam was one of their top of the range models so you could have something very nice. Be good to see some pics.

This an oil bath model?

I remember the saddle has a little pipet thing for oil

Hi, if its a real old sunbeam, the serial number should be on the 'seat' lug, the format of the number will help date it, you can find a guide on this page http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/frame-numb ... ing-guide/and here's hoping its a straight forward number 6 digit number. Once thats done, check out the various examples on the web to figure out the model ( I can help but I need piccies ), there were differences between the royal and the golden, these were the main two models up to the mid twenties, but there were others at various times, The sunbeam story is a story of slow decline, with the best ones being produced just before the first world war ( you don't here that very often on this forum ). Terry

thanks all, came across that site myself, i will send a mate a message see if he can get the frame number for me or i will get it later in the week, would be nice to solve how old it really is. nice thing it with tyres an tubes its ridable, totally original paint work ect, yes its rusty ect lol not mint but no where near rotten

Narrow it down a bit, if it has Chrome plate then after 1930. Previous would be nickel.
Pivtures needed to get closer. Detail close ups needed.
Keith

i personally think its before 1930, not realy looked at it much as never been my cup of tea but i think its growing on me, got a few old bikes that need dating an even finding out what they are in some cases, thought i would have ago an start with the best, few bikes in with brooks seats ect so could be good ones, messaged my mate on the frame no

been today an forgot to put sd card in phone so no pics, will try nip in tomorrow, got the frame number and looking on a sunbeam site with afew reg frame numbers this one is between 1915 an 1923, i think its going to be about the 1920s mark, ps the bike is ridable i thought the tyres were shot but there up and round ;)

Back