Oiling a suntour freewheel

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
I have a new freewheel for the old Raleigh, I am trying to oil it to remove a little stiffness (ooer) before fitting but I cant seen to get the oil inside :facepalm:

I have run out of specific bike oil so am using a normal 3 in 1 type, which seems a little thick :oops:

Is this stuff ok or am I committing a sin.

Midlife":3pp6m5ab said:
http://sheldonbrown.com/freewheels.html

Best if the freewheel is spinning as it seams to break the meniscus that forms a bridge when you try and oil it stationary....does that meke sense?

Shaun

It does, I have spun it whilst oiling it and there appears to be some thick oil/slight sludge preventing the oil from getting inside. Am I right in assuming it should have a noticeable click ?

I have various freewheels and some are loud and some are quiet / silent. I did oil a Suntour for my Rapide and i suspect i filled it with oil - it went very quiet after that. I used fine oil from the rear. It will probably be fine - be careful if you try to clean it as i think you can cause damage inside with degreaser getting into it.

Loudest FW i have heard was a 105 on a new Felt on holidays this year - it was an incredible noise and good for warning pedestrians. My Ultegra FW is almost quiet and i have to be wary of people not hearing me approach.

Richard

Thanks for that, there just seems to be a little grinding when it spins. Its a un-used freewheel so all it probably needs is some grease inside. I have not taken one apart for a good few years. Am I right in thinking that to take it apart I leave the freewheel on the wheel and tap one of the 2 holes in the front of the freewheel with a hammer and slim chisel :?

No comment!! I was warned not to try this - i had a grinder and replaced it - easiest way to fix it and not expensive. There are plenty of guys here who can advise on the process of rebuilding etc. I think there was a good thread about it but i cannot remember who posted it. Leave that with me and i will search for it.

Richard

Midlife":d36vnsxt said:
Freewheels don't do grease......if it's gunked up then use WD40 followed by some oil :)

Shaun

Thanks !

I shall have an early night, get up refreshed, wait until the Wife and Kids have gone out, put the kettle on, retreat to the workshop and then strip it down :) :)

Remembering to take photos along the way :oops: :facepalm:

Latest posts

Back