stupid question!! freehub or cassette?

retroad87

Dirt Disciple
ok so im on my first retro refurb and I need to know whether I have a freehub or cassette? it is a 5 speed late 70's bike. I know I need to remove the toothed nut, do I need a special tool or will a normal cassette removal tool work?

thanks

what do you mean by markings? none as im aware. I thought it would be freehub. is there a special size of tool needed for this age. it looks like what I can describe as isis bottom bracket removal, that sort of size, bigger than the shimano cassette removal.
thanks

A picture would help with the identification, there should be some markings, company name etc on it.

Suntour, Shimano etc etc

There must be some markings on it, surely. Right where the tool would go in, or on the biggest cog.

If you're in the UK some of the terminology may be adding to the confusion. In the UK we have freewheels or cassettes. Freewheels came first and if its original to your bike it will most likely be a freewheel. There are various tool types for removing a freewheel so posting a pic will help.

A freehub, is the american word for cassette.

:)

I think I meant to write freewheel instead of freehub. thanks for the clarification I have ridden bikes all my life and always been good at doing my own stuff....until I got an old bike and entered this forum!!!

Back