Sending downtube shifters to hades

Bats

Senior Retro Guru
So, got myself a Record Sprint. 105 golden arrow rear mech, sachs front mech, brazed on downtube shifters. In other words bog standard, and a right pain trying to steer one handed and persuade it into the right gear.

What's the cheapest way of making it less... err, retro? I don't want to make it horrible and un-80s with STIs and stuff like that, so I'm thinking bar end shifters.

What exactly do I need? I've seen bikes with bar-ends where the cable runs up to a... doodad where the DT shifters used to be, then with outers run to the bars...

No idea what I'm doing, halp :?

Best way is to just ride the thing, and a in a week or two it becomes second nature. You will find yourself shifting less, and putting out a little more effort instead of reaching down every time. I imagine it could be a pain in the nether regions in a very hilly area, of course. With that said...

I believe Golden Arrow has the proprietary shimano mounts, with a round base and a squarish notch sticking out towards the front. You will need to use some type of downtube adjuster and since they're made for square mounting bases, they will need to have a notch filed or dremeled out to be installed. They also tend to have a smaller than normal thread for the mounting bolts, so you will need bolts to fit the smaller threads. Once you have that done, get some Shimano or Suntour bar end shifters which can mount in the handlebars. Friction shifting is infinitely easier to handle with bar ends, since you won't have to worry about the right amount of indexed speeds, and finding obsolete shifting parts. You will also need to rewrap the bars, with the cable housing exiting a few turns in. Search Suntour Bar cons in google images, and you will begin to get the idea.

The proprietary mounts, which I believe both 600 and Golden Arrow shared during those years. The Shimano bolt on downtube adjusters will have to be filed or machined out, to clear that notch in the front. If you do it carefully, it will look like a factory piece.

DSCN4525.jpg

This is Raleigh we're talking about, I don't think they went as far as to give me matching shifters... I'll have a look at them in a bit. Thanks for the advice.

Hmmm, I do not recognize those shifters, after checking out your pics. Never seen any with that much of a curl back. Yeah I would get some of the Shimano DT adjusters(modified if need be), and a set of Suntour bar cons. Nice looking bike, I can honestly say I have NEVER seen that model! If those are actually gold anodized components, I am sorry but they must be sent to me ASAP!

Will STI downtube shifters with an STI compatible rear mech not do the job? Very easy to operate and takes a second to change gear - becomes second nature pretty quickly.

Ah but that means buying a new rear mech... I'd prefer index shifting to be honest, but are there six-cog indexed downtube shifters out there? It's a helicomatic hub with gold cogs, don't want to lose it.

I thought STI meant the modern brifter brake lever/shifters. Most definitely don't want those!

Miguello":3mhbfv0x said:
Hmmm, I do not recognize those shifters, after checking out your pics. Never seen any with that much of a curl back. Yeah I would get some of the Shimano DT adjusters(modified if need be), and a set of Suntour bar cons. Nice looking bike, I can honestly say I have NEVER seen that model! If those are actually gold anodized components, I am sorry but they must be sent to me ASAP!

Yep, actually gold. And nah you can get your own :D

Yep I know first version of 105 was 6 speed, because it's on my bike?

Not sure why you tell me that.

I would be interested in the outcome of this I am building a bike for my brother and he wants to do away with downtube shifters :)

Back