Raleigh clubman vintage

Steve cleobury

Retro Newbie
Hello everyone, I have just come across an old Raleigh clubman, the frame is in great condition, how do I find out the year of it and it's if their is any value to it?
Hope you can help
Steve

Raleigh were pretty ruthless when it came to taking over the competition and were run by accountants........the by product was that they generally numbered their frames pretty well to keep track :)

The frame number should give the year of manufacture :)

Shaun

Thanks everyone for your comments, but unfortunatly i still have found out the age of the clubman.
I found a number stamped on the frame, which was located under the bottom of the frame (wm3001959) it also has a sticker on the frame saying "hand built by raleigh nottingham england".

Raleigh were well known for misleading adverts and copy writing.
They woukld not say "mass produced in Nottingham" and tell the truth.
Or could have been far eastern frame assembled in Nottingham?
Look at all the cheap heavy welded tubing they used advertised as "high tensile steel" in perhaps close to a million bikes in a year.

Steve, did you click on the link I posted?

I've just been back and had a look again myself. The 'W' part of the code means it was made in Worksop (although if it was made after 1981 when the Worksop factory closed, it was actually made in Nottingham), and the 'M' means in September.

The '3' refers to the year of the decade it was built in, so presumably either 1973 or 1983. What components does it have on it? Who made the chainrings, brakes, derailleurs, cranks etc? Given the brainpower and knowledge on here, it should be pretty easy to work out which decade it's from.

And I think the last bit means it was the 1959th model off the production line that month. Although I don't know if that would mean it was the 1959th of its type, or off the production line per se.

Here's a picture of a 1983 Raleigh Clubman that I found via Google just now. Is this anything like yours?

Keith, I'm fairly new to all this having bought an '86 Raleigh Competition a few months ago (and welcome a correction if I'm wrong...) but it's my understanding that although Raleigh did produce millions of 'racers' made from mass-produced gas pipe frames of dubious quality, their Lightweights of that era were handbuilt in the factory. And from what I remember having read, I'm fairly sure that a Clubman was actually the level between Raleigh's range of commercially-available lightweight bikes made from Reynolds tubing, and their 'professional' range.

well, you are a genius :D them photos are excatly the same even to the colour and transfers.
thanks for your help your a star.
i was hoping it was older, but at least i know now.
many thanks
Steve

Back