Ergopower hoods

kbmpi

Retro Guru
Well, some days ago I've just came across this listing on ebay:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e12052.m4 ... AGB%3A1123

for me, it seems like the seller actually pulled a 2nd generation ergohood (those were manufactured for levers between 1999-2009, pointeb top, as opposed to the pointy tops of the first generation levers) onto a first generation ergopower. (I think that veloce MUST BE a first gen-style looking ergo, with pointy top, as it has both brake-shift levers matching to those.. not to mention,that 8spd levers were only made in that oldish style).

Has anyone actually tried applying a 2nd gen hood onto an old ergo? I'm asking this, because you can literally have zillion colours of hoods from hüdz for quite nice amount compared to the original black-overpriced-overwearing campy ones (EC-RE500).

Any opinions whether to give it a try or not? :D

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I seem to remember reading, somewhere, that you can trim the points off gen 1 egos and file the plastic down so that gen 2 hoods will fit.

:) There's happiness again.. bought my 4th pair of ergos (unfortunately, I only have one fitted and one at my desk waiting to be used as spare parts..Ö

victim:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-Chor ... 1351332946

still don't know how to get it so cheap, in fact it was an accident (highest bidder retracted..) I've already sold it to one of my m8s inland, so I'm stuck with these:

http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/alfre ... 8.jpg.html

mechanically the right one is perfect, the left one is a bit weak, sometimes cannot hold the fd on the large chainring. as the left one isn't indexed, uses a ratchet mechanism, I've guessed that probably re-routing the cable with the ratchet in an another position should help (moving across the double front setup only uses about one third of the ratchet's spectrum, so I should get away with it.)

The problem is mainly aesthetic.. torn hoods, scruffs, signs of previous crash? probably sand blasting the disassembled levers-parts and then re-polishing would be great. if it's true that I can fit 2nd gen hoods onto them, i'd probably give them a try.. cause on ebay you can get 2nd gen hoods for much lower prices than 1st gen pointy tops.

if i won't have the patience-willpower, i'll sell them happily for 40 pounds plus shipping, as I have a pair of 8spd mirage completely rebuilt and with new internal parts-levers.

I regret a bit that I've spent so much on 8spd campy stuff, but it was c heaper than 10spd.. probably easier to maintain on the long run too.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back