Winter Chest Protectors?

rusty bodie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
what do you chaps use these days in the winter to keep the old chest warm? we used to have traditional chest protectors that were made of a kind of chamois material and went over the head and arms and covered the chest and abdomen and down past the shoulder blades on the back.
i bought an assos airblock jackets last winter and stuffed a newspaper "up ma jook" to good effect but the soggy, mangled mess at the end of a long run isn't really acceptable any longer!

any suggestions?

My "windproof" layer is on the outside, inside layers are for wicking / breathing...... is that what you meant?

Shaun

Just ordered a new top today, can't have the chill getting into the old lungs...

I seem to get very warm on the bike and for me, two thin long sleeved wicking tops plus a sleeveless waterproof top with a mesh back plus thin gloves is fine to keep me warm but not wind chilled. Pair that with tights and I'm done. Ears and toes are my cold areas so a fleece band under the helmet and neoprene bootees saw me fine last winter for up to 30 miles down to minus 2.
Going out with the wife means layering-up, however!

I'll usually wear the gilet under another long sleeved, outer layer as extra wind/cold/wet protection

Echo the comment on the merino wool base layer - great stuff!
Maybe another wicking layer - depends how cold
And the sleeveless windproof gilet over that

The gilet is a very versatile bit of kit - stashes away in a pocket easily - but gives decent chill protection
Use mine on and off road.

Back