Youngs, Roberts, Witcomb,

Melon

Dirt Disciple
My Uncle has tasked me with finding him a late 70's early 80's South East London built bike/frame.

I'm putting together a list of South East London builders to look out for which were operating at that time and have come up with the below. Had any of them stopped building? Or were there any others I should keep in mind?

Youngs (Lewisham)
Roberts (Croydon)
Witcomb (Deptford)
Gillott (Camberwell)
Ron Cooper (Honour Oak)
A F Mills (Welling)

And if anyone has one around 57cm that they wish to part with for a reasonable price please let me know.

Freddie

I can probably help you there. I have a Youngs Grandini (their top model BITD) that I am considering moving on.

PM me if interested.

A F Mills ceased trading sometime in the mid 60's I believe, also Ken and Alec Bird were around in Welling and Green St Green in the time frame you want,
plus in Woolwich SE London was Harry Perry (still going)

Melon":2jo063x2 said:
My Uncle has tasked me with finding him a late 70's early 80's South East London built bike/frame.

I'm putting together a list of South East London builders to look out for which were operating at that time and have come up with the below. Had any of them stopped building? Or were there any others I should keep in mind?

Youngs (Lewisham)
Roberts (Croydon)
Witcomb (Deptford)
Gillott (Camberwell)
Ron Cooper (Honour Oak)
A F Mills (Welling)

And if anyone has one around 57cm that they wish to part with for a reasonable price please let me know.

Freddie

Allin (Croydon) - frames built by Peter Cobb (Cobbie) v.highly regarded by Bill Hurlow
Ken Bird - frames built by his brother (Crystal Palace and Green Street Green)
Holdsworth - various shops and then the factory at Anerley
Holmes (Welling) - were they still trading by the 70s?

Gillott were not building in the 70s/80s, and there are other SE London builders, but these weren't around in this period (I've not included them for that reason).

Roadking.

N.B it is stretching it a bit to refer to Emperor Sport as a SE London builder, like you wouldn't consider Pearson as SE London either.

Excel":v2n2iwh3 said:
Woolwich SE London was Harry Perry (still going)

As far as I'm aware, trading now as Perry Cycles. They never built frames, therefore not on my list - although I knew the shop and the owner in the 80s when it was trading as Harry Perry Cycles.

Roadking.

Jingle Jangle I have pm'd you and every one else thank you for your help. Much appreciated.

Freddie

Back