Campag Record 10 Ultra Ergo click/escape query

HavelockEllis

Retro Guru
I've got three road rides all running Campag ergos - one with 9 speed Record, two with 10 speed Centaurs; one carbon levers, one alloy.

Sadly, after what must be 7 (?) years loyal service, the carbon Centaur gave up the ghost last week, when the left hand shift lever sheered off.

I found a pair of Campag Record Ultra 10 speed ergos on Ebay, very tidy nick (by the looks of them if nothing else) and a decent-ish price. I've never fitted Ultra before and, after having a look at them, I notice the right hand/rear mech shifter doesn't seem to have the click/stop ratchet that the Centaur shifter had...it just clicks down and down, then automatically returns back once you take your thumb off the wee tab.

Before I fit them - is this what they are meant to do and, I presume, they hold position according to the tension of the cable or have I been sold a dud pair and I return them?

Any info, very gratefully received.

Forgive me but it's difficult to grasp exactly what you mean but a common issue and it is an issue is that when you've changed all the way through using the 'shift up' lever (the one behind the brake lever) then attempt to shift down using the 'wee tab' it doesn't change down gear at a time but all at once or in big groups. I'm not sure what causes this but one set I've had needed a specific part replacing as a piece of alloy casting which secures the mechanism to the plastic body had snapped off and was preventing the mechanisms ratchet from working tightly.

Also, there was two types of shift types, normal and QS. QS worked like a button, which meant the 'wee tab' just needed pressing delicately to 'shift down' rather than normal where the 'wee tab' connects with a ratchet to release the shifts down. I suspect this worked by the release spring being reversed so you were releasing against the ratchet rather than pushing it along.

From what I think you're describing it does sound like you have an issue.

It's difficult to be articulate about describing these things without knowing the technical names of the parts and processes.

I think from a few years ago, campag only made record and chorus groups with the ability to shift multiple sprockets with a single push of the lever, while centaur and lower could only shift one sprocket per push. Without seeing your levers and a better description its hard to be sure - what you describe might be normal, or might not be, depending on the lever version.

Yes, the Record ones feel as though they have some little bobbles but no definite click - there is no specific ratcheting as such.

Big thanks for the replies - much appreciated.
I got in touch with the seller just to double check and he says they are virtually unused, which is pretty much how they look.
Judging by Foz and Hamster's comments, they do indeed lack that definite click on account of the multiple shift. I've fitted them tonight and, pending some fine tuning, they seem to work in the way that SRAM do with the cable tension doing the lion's share of the shifting.

Back