Vintage French frame ID, does anyone have any info please?

kingscott

Retro Newbie
Hi Everyone.

I Recently purchased a nice little frameset from a local carboot sale for £35 quid. I was told its french as the seller got it at a french market as he has a villa out that way and he was going to do it up himself. Unfortunately I can't find any information anywhere after weeks and weeks or trying to get any information about the frame or manufacturer.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction? or can give me a rough guess of what age it may be?

It's a Depose Cylla, Cylla is on the downtube, has hand painted patterns and quite nice lugs, the headset is branded LELEGF? cottered crank.

I intend to do her up into a nice classic over the winter.

Many thanks guys, I can get more pics if it helps :)

Adam

Re: Vintage French frame ID, does anyone have any info pleas

Hi, it looks to be an early sixties model ( foil decals ) at a guess and is probably a branded cycle shop cycle, you'll have to dig deep to find out where the shop was. May I suggest the Forum Tonton Velo, they are very helpful but you'll need to use google translate, unless your french is good ( keep it simple is my advice ). On that forum can be found two other sylla's http://forum.tontonvelo.com/viewtopic.p ... ilit=sylla, so you are not alone. Should make up to a nice bike. Terry

Interesting, thanks guys. I was thinking that it was some random stickers that someone had fitted at some point but at least now I know. Thanks again, Ill keep you posted on my resto progress

Cheers

Nice looking frame. Appears to have either a Simplex or Huret down tube gear lever boss which will mean a dedicated lever to work properly. What are the rear dropouts? Are these Simplex or Huret? Same might apply to get a a working rear mech but please, what ever you do, if it is one of these, don't saw the hanger off! Correct period mechs are available at jumbles etc.

Have you checked the threading of the BB? On a frame of this period may also be French.

Hi

Excuse my lack of technical knowledge vintage restoration is all new to me.

It has blank hangers, intestesting that you have noticed the gear lever mounding lug, I didnt reasilse this was going to be a issue so I'm glad you have pointed that out. Any ideas what I must look for?

I was going to go with Simplex or Huret to try and keep things french but have yet to purchase anything.

Yes the bottom bracket i believe is french.

Back