Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:46 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:27 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Hi all.

I rode a route with several guys from here and had Strava running on my phone. The phone battery died a little way from the end of the ride, so there is a chunk missing from the activity when I view it on the PC. One of the other riders has a complete activity and I can see that on their feed. Is there a way for me to copy the missing segments out of their ride and paste it onto the end of mine?

Cheers - Chris.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:45 am 
Retro Guru

Not that I'm aware of but there are websites that allow you to 'tweak' your ride thus allowing you to tag a bit onto the end. I would think that you would be required to save your ride as a GPX file and upload it to one of the said websites then tweak it and save again as a GPX file and upload to Strava

Not sure which of the 'tweaking' sites would work best so you should do your research first

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:00 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Any link to some easy to use tweaking sites you've used or know as recommended? We've a few riders that would like to add the starts onto their rides or add the last bits.
At the moment they just add the missed miles in strava itself. But there is no log of the route.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:13 pm 
r.B.o.T.M. & P.o.T.M. Winner
r.B.o.T.M. & P.o.T.M. Winner

Its a shame this thread has died time for a resurrection thats what us newbies are for isn't it anyway i digress

I have a garmin geko and have used memory map to plot the routes just wondering if I could use OS maps digital to plot the routes then upload to the geko any one with the knowledge in RB world

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:44 pm 

I used to use Mio Cyclo,now I use SpeedX app in my phone.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:42 am 
Dirt Disciple

I generally use my Garmin 810 for most rides and have used most of it's functionality at one time or another. For example, I downloaded the route map for L'Eroica and can use the Garmin for turn by turn navigation throughout the day 'just in case'. Most of the time it has more functionality than I require for a particular ride - but then again so does my smartphone for what I need at any given time. I previously had an Edge 500, but when cycling in distant countries the 810 has given a degree of comfort with the maps and nav features.

I tend to log most of my rides to Strava, and this is where it gets very interesting to those of competitive instincts. The biggest issue with Strava is that it provides "data comparison" sourced from variable devices. I have numerous examples where I have recorded the exact same ride on both my Garmin and my iPhone 6 plus and the data from the iPhone 6 plus provides me with roughly twice the vertical and 10% further distance than the Garmin (although the difference is NOT consistent)

Obviously if I want to do one of Strava's climbing challenges, I'd be logging all my rides from the iPhone! Also equally obvious is that neither the Garmin nor the iPhone are 'accurate'. I suspect that the Garmin is closer to the 'truth' as it's turn by turn nav seems more consistent than say using Google Maps on the iPhone. Google Maps is much more hand when you are truly lost, though...

iPhone stays in my jersey pocket in a Rapha Essential case (too expensive to destroy if I don't stay rubber side down) and the Garmin is attached via a headset mount over the top of my bar stem. Its a bit 'belts and braces' but I've never been let down.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:12 am 
Retro Guru

A couple of updates.
Since Christmas, and courtesy of Mrs GLP, I have been wearing a Fitbit Surge watch-cum-acivity tracker. It is great for every day but less so for riding. It supposedly tracks steps, stairs, distance, calories and so on and is mostly accurate. I especially like that ir records
my pulse. It seems to do steps off an accelerometer so I've found it to be less good pushing grandson GLP's pushchair than plain walking. For 'exercise' you tell it what you are doing and I have found it is tediously slow to acquire a satellite fix in C London which is frustrating as I do lots of short journeys there. It needs charging twice a week but only takes about 45m. I don't wear it for serious riding as it is too vulnerable- and the strap is not replaceable due to containing the bluetooth and GPS antennae.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:00 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

captnslow wrote:
I generally use my Garmin 810 for most rides and have used most of it's functionality at one time or another. For example, I downloaded the route map for L'Eroica and can use the Garmin for turn by turn navigation throughout the day 'just in case'. Most of the time it has more functionality than I require for a particular ride - but then again so does my smartphone for what I need at any given time. I previously had an Edge 500, but when cycling in distant countries the 810 has given a degree of comfort with the maps and nav features.

I tend to log most of my rides to Strava, and this is where it gets very interesting to those of competitive instincts. The biggest issue with Strava is that it provides "data comparison" sourced from variable devices. I have numerous examples where I have recorded the exact same ride on both my Garmin and my iPhone 6 plus and the data from the iPhone 6 plus provides me with roughly twice the vertical and 10% further distance than the Garmin (although the difference is NOT consistent)

Obviously if I want to do one of Strava's climbing challenges, I'd be logging all my rides from the iPhone! Also equally obvious is that neither the Garmin nor the iPhone are 'accurate'. I suspect that the Garmin is closer to the 'truth' as it's turn by turn nav seems more consistent than say using Google Maps on the iPhone. Google Maps is much more hand when you are truly lost, though...

iPhone stays in my jersey pocket in a Rapha Essential case (too expensive to destroy if I don't stay rubber side down) and the Garmin is attached via a headset mount over the top of my bar stem. Its a bit 'belts and braces' but I've never been let down.

If it's in a pocket not on your back then it doesn't have a full line of sight and gets jiggled around. Do both also use the GLONASS satellites?

Either way you've hit what I always say is a problem with GPS tracking, it is inherently I accurate for tight timings and pinpoint determination. Trees, building all effect it. It's just not that accurate anyway by design and so location movement is guessed using other methods (or should be to check if you actually moved that place or suddenly went faster.)
As for segment, if you see how start and stop works for timings you'll stop arguing who is quickest, especially if it's a few seconds apart. Pointless for short distances.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:56 pm 
Retro Guru

Part 2 of my updates (written to the accompaniment of more technology as I'm watching TDF Stage 13 time trial on demand from Eurosport relayed from the web via an iphone and Apple TV):

I used to track my rides simultaneously on Strava (iphone) and Garmin 810. A not-so-recent Garmin update now means that I can tether the Garmin via the phone and the Garmin data goes directly into my Strava feed. This uses less battery and includes cadence and heart rate and maybe power too, in due course. It also means I can use 'live track' so Mrs GLP can see where I am and how it is going which she likes.

The technology side of things works well. The main issue is my eyesight - a combination of the small Garmin screen and riding in aero position placing it close to my nose. I need to experiment with contact lenses as glasses are too vulnerable and expensive to replace so I don't wear them when riding. One option could be a lens in one eye only, leaving the other eye to handle distance, otherwise it will be varifocals in both eyes.

So why do I like Strava? Well, if provides insight and motivation. I'm very slow up hills, both bsolutely and by comparison with others, and I will do something to find out why, at some point. Down hills and on the flat I'm much faster than average and this helps me to keep going out there and trying as it appeals to my competitive streak.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:19 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I have a query regarding uploading rides from my MIO cyclo 100, I has uploaded the Cycloagent software on my laptop, I have uploaded an upcoming charity ride in a GPX format which I am able to view.

But, I have a dozen rides on the MIO that I am trying to upload onto MIO but cant seem to do this.

Anyone help ? :facepalm:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next