Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:43 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:36 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I would use a dedicated device over a smart phone if using it for more than just logging and a quick peak at a map every now and again. You do get to have pretty much any map you'll ever need though.

Smartphones are not waterproof normally (you can get them though but they cost money.
Price, not really relevant, you can get a Android based Motorola Moto-G and you get GPS/A-GPS/GLONASS tracking for a tad over £100 and pick others up for prices all over from not a lot to far too much, iPhones are just an expensive way to buy one.

BUT all eat batteries once the screen is on and few have properly readable screens one it gets sunny.
They are not robust unless you buy one designed for it so not something to put on a bike and then have it launched of it mount over bumpy rocks and when you plow into a fence, tipple tail the bike etc.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:48 am 
West Midlands AEC
West Midlands AEC

How do the battery's fare on the newer models? I mapped a 150 mile charity ride from full charge on the 705 and the extra demands of navigation killed the battery within the first day. When just recording data it's lasts forever.

Another question for the newer models of garmin , on the 705 if I load a route up as GPS then be guided as a sat Nav ... It would always start doing its own thing and try and get me to the finish quicker like a TOMTOM for example ... So the trick is to load a route as a track then follow like a breadcrumb .

Has this improved on the 800/810?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:54 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

daj wrote:
How do the battery's fare on the newer models? I mapped a 150 mile charity ride from full charge on the 705 and the extra demands of navigation killed the battery within the first day. When just recording data it's lasts forever.

Another question for the newer models of garmin , on the 705 if I load a route up as GPS then be guided as a sat Nav ... It would always start doing its own thing and try and get me to the finish quicker like a TOMTOM for example ... So the trick is to load a route as a track then follow like a breadcrumb .

Hi, I have the 800 and have used it a bit more than a year. It keeps battery forever if I just track. Just as your 795. But if you use the nav and have a number of ANT devises running (cadence, pulse, watt?) you may want to turn the backlight on the screen down to a minimum. That saves quite some battery.
Cheers
Jakob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:02 am 
Dirt Disciple

Taking into account the feedback on here, elsewhere, and the cracking price offer, I've just had a 810 delivered. I'll get it set up on the road bike this week for a first try when it's a dry day. I've been on the MTB over the winter, but not sure I can use it with 2 bikes without buying spare Cadence sensor.

I have a minor dilemma, in that I'd like to buy a silicon case for it.

The simple question for the forum is... White or Blue?

NB: I realise it's one of the most 'non-period correct' things for this bike, but I'm putting in on anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:57 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

daj wrote:

I used the route plotter on Strava with maps from Open Map, which is a free source of routable cycling maps that you load onto the Garmin.
I set the Garmin to "off road" in the settings and that stops it from making any suggestions about the quickest route to take. It then follows the waypoints set in the Strava map.

Export as a GPX file and load this into the New Files folder on the Garmin.

http://www.aukadia.net/gps/

Here are some articles I used for a starter, I glossed over them really as it tends to send me to sleep, but they were all I needed to get going.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:41 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

kiwifraser wrote:
Taking into account the feedback on here, elsewhere, and the cracking price offer, I've just had a 810 delivered. I'll get it set up on the road bike this week for a first try when it's a dry day. I've been on the MTB over the winter, but not sure I can use it with 2 bikes without buying spare Cadence sensor.

I use my Garmin 500 on all my bikes, road or mtb, but I only have the cadence sensor on my training road bike, as it's a bit of a waste of time on an mtb, where you are never really in a position to ride with a regular cadence.

On the MTB I use the 500 as a logging device and little more, but I would imagine the route function on the 810 could be seriously useful offroad, following cheeky trails or bridleways.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:49 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

had my 800 for 3 or maybe 4 years now and it gets used on all the bikes. sometimes just recording when I want to just ride,
sometimes record for training etc and sometimes routing as well when I "fancy a change of scenery" :)
Plot, export and import using ridewithgps.com and use talkytoaster for os style mapping files. It's so far been bullet proof with
only one hang that I can remember. shame the same can't be said of the "premium" hrm strap which was next to useless
almost straight out of the box. swapped out for a cardiosport version and never looked back :)
I'm now playing with the new 2 piece speed and cadence after my 4th GSC-10 failed to talk to anyone ....

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:42 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Used a garmin touring edge for my recent ride to Austria . first class kit . I used it with a map {Which gave me the big picture for each day .} Route decided on as i went . It was all about the journey for me . Plently of time . Got to Austria 1 week ahead of schedule.
Gramin came into its own for getting into / around cities. Finding digs hotels best used together with a mb app. Saying that i had no problems finding a bed for the night

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:44 pm 
Retro Guru

bagpuss wrote:
Used a garmin touring edge for my recent ride to Austria . first class kit . I used it with a map {Which gave me the big picture for each day .} Route decided on as i went . It was all about the journey for me . Plently of time . Got to Austria 1 week ahead of schedule.
Gramin came into its own for getting into / around cities. Finding digs hotels best used together with a mb app. Saying that i had no problems finding a bed for the night

Is there a way to enter co-ordinates from a map directly into the Garmin Touring to make a waypoint, or did
you find where you wanted to go by navigating the map on the (small) screen or using proposed POI?

Would be interesting to hear, because it's a royal pain to do long route planning with such a small screen so
like you say the map is essential for the big picture.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:04 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Entering place names as i went was no problem for me as i had plenty of time.{If time is tight more route planning would of been needed}
Sometimes during the trip i would be riding through forests with trails in all directions and the gramin came into its own. Just input the place name i wanted next .Bingo .Great for telling you where abouts you are lost at... Had to make sure on data selection .Which type of route i wanted .Short road,touring,off road. Maps imho are a must for the big picture.I also carried a compass.
Map & compass have never failed me yet.
So a rough out lined route on map/marked routes + gramin worked well for me.
As it was about the journey as said i limited my mileage to about 55 m 90 k ish a day on average.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next