Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:02 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:40 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

TGR wrote:
Neil,

Thanks again for that - i am glad you made the effort with the original post. I owe you a beer - Carlsberg or Peroni?

Richard

I'm what they call in modern parlance 'straightedge' so we'll make it a ginger beer if that's OK. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:45 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Hmmmmmmmmm we do not do that here!! I have seen alcoholic ginger beer in an ad somewhere, failing that - a vodka shandy - vodka, dash of lime (small) and ginger beer with ice. Lovely!!!

Seriously, fair enough, non alco is available in some places and i will sort it for you.

Richard

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:58 pm 
MacModerator
MacModerator

TGR wrote:
I presume that Strava has routes programmed where records can be set. I am not sure if they would be many near me, and that suits me at the moment. Can you route plan with Starva?

I am still trying to find safe roads near me as in most magazines etc they talk about 10, 20 or 30 mile routes which would be local - on these you can train and improve but doing various things. The very annoying bit is we have about 1 mile of good surface near me which is safe, the other good surfaces are on busy roads where it is dangerous to ride. To emphasise my point, my friend bought a new bike this week - for road riding and training but he bought a hybrid type bike as the roads are too poor for a road bike.

Richard

You can join Strava easily enough, from there you can zoom in on your area and have a nosey about. The Strava 'segments'are either created by individuals (including yourself) or if the climb merits it Strava will create it itself. You can download routes on Strava if you opt for the pro subscription but for route planning Garmins free connect site is pretty good. I've some rough roads near me too, going up to a 25 or even a 28 tyre might help, put it this way that can't be too much worse than the cobbles of Roubaix! For my winter riding this year my CX bike is getting shod with some 1.4 Schwalbe Marathon Supremes, should help tame the roughest stuff but keep me moving fast enough.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:02 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Strava doesn't have routes.

IT has 'segments' and you can search them.

So say you go out for a ride, you can then create a segment say along a stretch or from the bottom of a hill to the top. Just make them sensibly (there are many many poor ones now :()
Like create it a bit after the junction/general stop point, to just before the stop point/junction/gate etc.
Don't create them over dangerous crossroads sort of thing.

To be honest the website says it best http://www.strava.com/how-it-works I know on the 'app' you can explore without logging in. Can't seem to find that on the website.

Have a look at others though (endomundo, mapmyride, .....)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:04 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I should point out, Routes is in progress last time I looked (on Strava).
Have a read of the blog http://blog.strava.com/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:15 pm 
Retro Guru

I use it for keeping track of what I've done and my times

Since starting in March

This month

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:17 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

One thought to add about training solo; it is what most of the pro's do.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:21 pm 
Old School Grand Master

47p2

Could you post up the the other tabs on the pics - or a couple so i can see what they mean e.g. Power Curve and Fitness and Freshness - sorry for being nosey. BTW is the Ford mentioned!!! LOL

Neil, I am far from being a pro!!

Richard

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:32 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

TGR, pop to the site, they may have previews as they are Premium feature (shown by the shield symbol)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:37 pm 
Retro Guru

Sorry I can't Richard, the only one I can access is the 'My Activities' tab which is a list of the routes I've done, the others I would need to pay the upgrade subscription fee to use these tabs and I don't use them so no point paying

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next