Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:17 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:26 pm 
Retro Guru

Technology, it's amazing what they can do nowadays, if only us old yins knew how to work it

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:33 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

47p2 wrote:
Technology, it's amazing what they can do nowadays, if only us old yins knew how to work it

Take your son/daughter or young lover with you. They can do the faffing, give it to you, you give it back and jobs done.

Some of them programmes allow people to follow you online as they update your location to the internet, if you so wish.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:40 pm 
Retro Guru

FluffyChicken wrote:
47p2 wrote:
Some of them programmes allow people to follow you online as they update your location to the internet...

Don't tell SWMBO about that :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:07 pm 
Old School Grand Master

47p2 wrote:
FluffyChicken wrote:
47p2 wrote:
Some of them programmes allow people to follow you online as they update your location to the internet...

Don't tell SWMBO about that :lol: :lol:

I have to agree with that, quite scarey really!

Richard

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:01 pm 
MacModerator
MacModerator

I'm a long time HRM user and Garmin user for a few years now and I love them, maybe even too much( I was a bit peeved recently when I stacked it on the bike and busted my 500, not because of the cost of repairing the Garmin but about the missed recording of miles!). Without a doubt they are great tools but I'd only recommend them to someone how will use them, HRM's in particular have loads of functions but are only useful if you use them and formulate a training plan around them. The Garmin on the other hand can really motivate and is an easier tool to use to improve your cycling. Whether it was running or cycling I was a mileage logging drone and as such was pretty much a plodder on both bike and foot, using the Garmin and Strava however and I've started to up the ante, rides now include a lot of 'attacking' and a much more spirited effort and I'd say its definitely improved what I can do on the bike and even when I was doing loads more miles I'd say I'm as fast as I've ever been.

So a resounding yes from me, but what I think I was trying to get across at the start of this post was that they are not for everybody, I ride with guys who have no interest in mileage or AVS or FTP and do it for the enjoyment of the ride, if you think this is you then maybe look for something else that helps you get out the door because at the end of the day they are only a tool for recording what you are doing and don't in themselves make you any better/fitter etc.

For those that are looking at a Garmin edge 500 then I found this review handy

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2009/12/garm ... eview.html

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:05 pm 
Old School Grand Master

To clarify the above, in you opinion is a Garmin etc a useful tool if you are cycling alone? Would it assist motivation and inprovement?

Richard

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:12 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

TGR wrote:
To clarify the above, in you opinion is a Garmin etc a useful tool if you are cycling alone? Would it assist motivation and inprovement?

Richard

A resounding yes, as I do 99% of my riding alone, by choice.

I don't know about motivation, my Garmin certainly does not motivate me to go out for a ride on a cold, wet day, but once out, it is a great help with letting me know what's going on with my heart rate, distance, time and climb percentage.

With regards to improvement, yes, the Garmin is a massive help, or at least the data it records is, as it allows me to watch figures like average power, heart rate and speed.

I could ride without my Garmin, and quite often do on a mtb, but when it comes to road riding, I'd prefer to have it thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:18 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Neil,

Thanks again for that - i am glad you made the effort with the original post. I owe you a beer - Carlsberg or Peroni?

Richard

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:04 pm 
MacModerator
MacModerator

TGR wrote:

Richard

For me absolutely, I cycle alone alot of the time but using the Garmin or more specifically Strava means I put a load more effort in. It motivates me to chase KOM's and for logging the miles, for instance I'll now go out for an hours ride just to maybe hit a segment and gather a few miles for the bank, previously if I wasn't going for a 2hr+ ride I wouldn't have bothered.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:29 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I presume that Strava has routes programmed where records can be set. I am not sure if they would be many near me, and that suits me at the moment. Can you route plan with Starva?

I am still trying to find safe roads near me as in most magazines etc they talk about 10, 20 or 30 mile routes which would be local - on these you can train and improve but doing various things. The very annoying bit is we have about 1 mile of good surface near me which is safe, the other good surfaces are on busy roads where it is dangerous to ride. To emphasise my point, my friend bought a new bike this week - for road riding and training but he bought a hybrid type bike as the roads are too poor for a road bike.

Richard

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next