Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:20 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:00 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

NeilM wrote:
The furthest Mrs M ever got with bike mounted technology was a Cateye Mitty 2, which I think we still have here somewhere. :mrgreen:

Nothing wrong with a mitty, rode plenty a mile with one and a huge polar pacer heart rate monitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:22 am 
Old School Grand Master

I bought a Garmin 800 mainly to help with motivation and also get me home after an embarrassing incident. My sense of direction is right up there with James May.

As I road ride 95% of the time I went for the 800 with the white band. This package includes a micro SD card with full UK road maps rather than the OS style maps preferred by tractor types. I also went for the built in heart monitor option as well as the cadence module. This is a wireless gizmo that attaches to the chainstay and I assume offers data to aid with calories calculations.

After a false start that meant I could only see major roads and appeared to be riding in fields adjacent to those roads, (OK, I didn't insert the SD card) it has been very good. As is usual with these things, I probably have only used a part of the available technology. I race the little virtual racer and have used the rather good navigation to get me back to somewhere I recognised when "geographically mislocated."

I use only the software local to my PC to store and monitor my rides. I know I'm old and fat and my fragile self being really doesn't need it confirming on all those "willy waving" sites. Having said that maybe next year if I ever ride again, I'll have a look as I think you can keep all your stuff private?

I too have never really done phones. So the choice was easier for me that others who already have a phone. My Garmin has a very high iPX (dust/water) rating and has been specifically designed to take abuse on the the handle bars of a bike. Phones aren't.

Criticisms: There was no software disc included. If you wanted software you have to download it. Sorry, if I'm paying over £400 I expect everything I need to be in the damn box!
The box did make proud boasts of the unit's ability to track satellites under cover and trees etc. It even had a name for it, Surelok or some such bobbins. Knowing how GPS works, (I lecture and instruct on sub cm RTK GPS), I thought it was a rubbish statement and it was!

Remember everyone, if you can't see a really good segment of the sky, it won't work. On this note, I believe the new units can also utilise the Russian GLONASS satellites as well as the GPS vehicles. I am definitely jealous and want this feature.

The software I do use is very good apart from the map overlay. This is rubbish. You can export your ride very easily to Google Earth though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:32 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Map overlays
As a side note to Strava users, if you go to http://veloviewer.com/ you can go mad with stats
but the better bit is the mapflipper so you can see your route on OS or other maps (on the PC)... you'll see what I mean http://veloviewer.com/mapFlipper

New SmartPhones track GLONASS now, just check. No idea if this is automatic for any 'GPS' program or it needs to be written to use it.

Oddly Googles MyTracks can be quite good.

I have no idea what is good for a handlebar mount version.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:49 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider

So what's the best compromise fir an iPhone 4S? I like te fact it's in my pack out of the way and weather. Using cyclemeter at present. Simple with nice maps etc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:58 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi,

I have a Garmin 800 too, what software is available that allows me to download my data directly to my computer? 'Iwasgoodonce' mentioned it can be done.

Cheers,
Finbar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:44 pm 
Retro Guru

I've been using 'Runkeeper' on my iPhone 4S since early last year. It works fine for my basic needs serving up a map of where I've been, timed mile/km splits and a speed/height trace. I'm not sure I believe the calories (but they are consistent) and haven't felt the need to explore getting a HRM (but I think you can). For long rides I use an aux battery pack to double battery capacity.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:14 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Having just got back into cycling in July this year I have not tried a great deal of things apps or GPS.

I was fairly surprised at how far things had moved on cycle computer wise with all these new fangled GPS gadgets that don't require magnetic sensor's or wires, showing my age now.

I decided to give an app on my HTC phone a try, it is Map My Ride. I found it to be excellent but the phone is to big to have mounted on the bars of the bike so I had to tuck it away which seemed pointless as I had to stop to check progress. Battery life isn't fantastic either but, I couldn't fault the software which allows you to make routes via the website and upload your data and share with other via Facebook or Twitter.

I then had the chance of a Garmin Edge 200. It's small and neat and sits on the bars without shouting here I am unless you turn some alerts on. The Edge 200 is also waterproof unlike my phone and I dare say it would handle a tumble better as well. The Garmin Connect site I find is great and I love the route planner. There is no HRM or Cadence on the Edge 200 as it is a basic model but it does everything I want it to do.

I will probably upgrade if I really get back in to the cycling groove which I think I will and I will let my 12 year old son who has decided to give cycling a go (at great expense to me) the Edge 200 until he decides to steal my newer one LOL

I have never tried the Strava site but will give it a look.

Last edited by andymuza on Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:26 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

andymuza wrote:
I have never tried the Strava site but will give it a look.

It's pretty similar to Garmin Connect, but is useful as a backup, or the other way round.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:26 am 
Old School Grand Master

Andymuza,

Regarding the HTC phone and Map My Ride - do you need constant connection to work it? If the signal is poor, what happens?

Thanks,

Richard

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:25 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

TGR, assuming it an Android HTC and not a Windows one then it's the same as any Android phone and just logs and needed no connection. They only need a connection (data of some sort) to upload or grab maps if they are being looked at.
The best way to find out is download it, have a play and go for a walk turning things on and off etc. It costs nothing.
I used mapmyride before I had a GPS phone, mainly to plot and share routes on the PC. I don't use it now but there is a Retrobike group iirc.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next