Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:53 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:15 am 
Old School Grand Master

widowmaker wrote:
I have a query regarding uploading rides from my MIO cyclo 100, I has uploaded the Cycloagent software on my laptop, I have uploaded an upcoming charity ride in a GPX format which I am able to view.

But, I have a dozen rides on the MIO that I am trying to upload onto MIO but cant seem to do this.

Anyone help ? :facepalm:

Sorted now 8)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:00 pm 
Retro Guru

Recently used my now old Nokia phone with the Drive app with downloaded maps. Phone was
in the back pocket and I used the handsfree so had no visuals.

2nd instruction was "Now enter the motorway". :facepalm:

Then due to the cycle lane being on the "wrong" side of the road traffic it freaked out with
25mins of "Route recalculation" :roll:

Not the best start, but it got me where I wanted to go in the end.

Attachments:
cykelbana.jpg
cykelbana.jpg [ 107.92 KiB | Viewed 3547 times ]

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:09 am 
Retro Guru

Interesting thread. Here's my take.. Tech is cool but i really can't be bothered with upload/downloads, linking gadgets etc. I also prefer minimising my life online. I accept i'm missing out on some community aspects such as what strava etc offer but i don't mind.
I use 'Runtastic Roadbike' free app on an iphone6. It has great maps and does all the basics like distance, ave and max speed, elevation gain and loss and some charts.
Activate before the ride then pop into back pocket with screen off and forget about it, it does the rest and a 2hr ride barely uses 15% of the battery capacity. Can check it occassionally if i need map guidance. The app logs all rides for historical reference and shows monthly totals and overall totals.
I like it because i can jump on any bike and it works, no brackets needed. It has global mapping without any SD card (i've used it this year in Malaysia, UK and Germany). It also works fine for hiking. It's a piece of cake to share immediate screenshots of rides and data with the few cyclists i care to share with on our whatsapp group. I think it's brilliant that i can take one slim, lightweight device with me which enables me to contact people, track rides, take photos - and access Retrobike and read BBC news in the cafe when riding alone. Not bothered about the accuracy complaints some have shared, it seems to work fine and i'm no pro to care about a few percent accuracy, it's just a guide and a bit of fun. I do have simple Cateye wireless computers on all my bikes and the mileage comparisons are very close every time so i don't think GPS has any serious accuracy problems. I'm not using it for split second timing or accuracy to the last few meters.
No doubt dedicated devices and on-bike sensors are needed for more serious data like Power and Cadence, but for function and convenience for a recreational weekend rider a decent phone app is great and costs nothing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:48 am 
r.B.o.T.M. & P.o.T.M. Winner
r.B.o.T.M. & P.o.T.M. Winner

^^^^^ This is why I'm now using strava as it's so much easier with a smartphone, as long as it captures my ride precision is not so important.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:33 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I've just started using a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt. It's my first cycle computer so don't have anything to compare to but I love it. Super easy to use, easy to read and configure and syncs up to strava before I've got my shoes off.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:59 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Anyone got an outfront mount for a garmin for your 26/26.4mm bar? Hate to put the big ba****d on the stem.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:58 am 
Dirt Disciple

FluffyChicken wrote:
I would use a dedicated device over a smart phone if using it for more than just logging and a quick peak at a map every now and again. You do get to have pretty much any map you'll ever need though.

Smartphones are not waterproof normally (you can get them though but they cost money.
Price, not really relevant, you can get a Android based Motorola Moto-G and you get GPS/A-GPS/GLONASS tracking for a tad over £100 and pick others up for prices all over from not a lot to far too much, iPhones are just an expensive way to buy one.

BUT all eat batteries once the screen is on and few have properly readable screens one it gets sunny.
They are not robust unless you buy one designed for it so not something to put on a bike and then have it launched of it mount over bumpy rocks and when you plow into a fence, tipple tail the bike etc.

Well I use a 3T Eye but Garmin and Wahoo make better options now. Its the best of both worlds. It sends your data to your phone and Strava and it handles all the other stuff like handing over bluetooth/ANT+ to your phone even if your phone dosn't have an ANT sensor. My phone goes in my back pocket and it gives me a screen out front for all of the data that my phone is receiving.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11