Snakebite punctures becoming a pain :-(

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
My cycling buddy has had 6 punctures in as many weeks, not the same tyre but the same type of punctures - the old classic snakebite, its starting to become a nuisance :(

They are the common snakebite type, I have watched him replace a couple and watched his technique :)

There is no damage to the tyres Shwalbe something , he never uses tyre levers to get the tyre on, and they are inflated usually with a track pump to 90/100 psi IIRC

At first I thought it was due to underinflation but not sure.

Are we missing something or is this a necessary evil with ultra slim tyres

How heavy is your riding buddy and how wide are the tyres you are running?

Also, some types of hard plastic rim tapes are good at leaving witness marks on inner tubes that look like snakebite marks.

The easy answer is run wider tyres, which are scientifically proven to provide lower rolling resistance.

monty dog":2ghr0u9g said:
How heavy is your riding buddy and how wide are the tyres you are running?

Also, some types of hard plastic rim tapes are good at leaving witness marks on inner tubes that look like snakebite marks.

The easy answer is run wider tyres, which are scientifically proven to provide lower rolling resistance.

I would say he is around 13/14 stone, the tyres are Schwalbe but not sure what exact type. They are tiny around 3/4" Ill find out which type.

keithglos":1kfvdm5k said:
If the size and weight are right then at 100 psi they are nearly flat.

I may be wrong, that's just a guess from my grip :oops:

Ill check the pressure and make sure we pump them to the required pressure :p

If they're 3/4" (20mm) then not surprised he's getting punctures - there's no benefit to running really skinny tyres, they are harsh, corner badly and puncture frequently.

monty dog":21b1cjlz said:
If they're 3/4" (20mm) then not surprised he's getting punctures - there's no benefit to running really skinny tyres, they are harsh, corner badly and puncture frequently.

I have tried to tell him but the problem is he has been to ONE club ride and he has been brainwashed, and thinks smaller/lighter is better :LOL:

I run 27 x 1.25 wheels with Continental Ultra Sports and have had one puncture in about 5/600 miles. I am just getting fed up with sitting by the side of a road watching him mend his punctures :p

The riders in this year Tour de France were riding 25/26 tyres . apparently wider tyres roll faster than narrow tyres .

More pressure. I run 120 in my 20mm tyres and I'm quite light at 11st.

Oh, and tell him to keep a better eye out for pot holes! It's really the only thing you can do when rocking skinny tyres like those on normal roads.

yeah, too narrow a tyre. 100PSI is ok, you don't have to run at 160psi like it sez in magazines. if you cant depress it with your thumb, its ok.

I don't know which club has brainwashed him into uber narrow tyres. We are a popular cycling club and recommend 23 for racing on good surfaces, 25 for typical clubruns in the peaks and 28 for grippier winter stuff.

I have had no end of problems with schwalbe road tyres, both for my racing bike and for the slicks on my mountain bike. Maybe he has too. Try a couple of conti gatorskins in 25mm flavour.

Back