Mercian Bike Valuations

Tiger9

Retro Newbie
Hi All,

A former house mate who is a huge enthusiast has put me onto this site in an attempt to get an understanding of value of two bikes that one of my friends has asked me to sell for them.

I am selling the bikes for a friend who has had a severe stroke, his wife is looking to clear one of his four sheds and the bikes were his treasured possessions in his fitter days - since the stroke his communication skills are limited so I am unable to say how old the bikes are - but Peter is in his late 80s so I would say the bikes are fairly old.

One is a black King of Mercia, the other a Mercian Custom build in Blue which has been very well looked after.

I know Peter would prefer me to sell them to an enthusiast rather than offload them on eBay but I want to get the best possible money for them as his wife is paying for his care privately so it will support that.

My only knowledge is comparables on ebay and I would genuinely appreciate any help and support that the forums members can provide.

I have a selection of photographs, I will upload a couple and hopefully that will simplify the identification process.

Knowing Peter - there is even the possibility he has the original receipts for them.

Thanks Matt - based Derbyshire

Just to add - I appreciate that the post might read as if they are not legitimate - but I am happy to introduce a buyer to Peter. additional pictures now attached.

Attachments

• photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 694
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 694
  • photo7.jpg
    photo7.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 694
  • photo5.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 694
  • IMG_3572.jpg
    IMG_3572.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 665
  • IMG_3587.jpg
    IMG_3587.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 665
  • IMG_3597.jpg
    IMG_3597.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 665
  • IMG_3590.jpg
    IMG_3590.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 665
The blue one is Mercians top model. A Vincitore/ special.This frame alone would cost £1000+at todays prices so of full bike depending components is double that.So £800 + is a fair price.The king is worth around £500.I live in derby so Iam more than happy to give further help should you need it.

Thanks Bagpuss, your help is genuinely appreciated.
I will get them out to take some better photos over the weekend and update the post. Where would you suggest would be the best bet in order to sell them - I have contacted Mercian direct and they have said that they would be willing to advertise them on their own noticeboard.
Am I better just listing them on the forums here?

Thanks again, The couple will be very grateful.

bagpuss":2547ud9h said:
The blue one is Mercians top model. A Vincitore/ special.This frame alone would cost £1000+at todays prices so of full bike depending components is double that.So £800 + is a fair price.The king is worth around £500.I live in derby so Iam more than happy to give further help should you need it.

I wouldn't think they would go for that much with the components fitted. The Vincitore is a stunner though.

Matt

Just as an aside, they will not fetch so much to have an impact on long term health care IMHO...........is there a family member they can be passed on to who will look after them and keep them alive?

Shaun

Tiger9":yd7ymirm said:
Thanks Bagpuss, your help is genuinely appreciated.
I will get them out to take some better photos over the weekend and update the post. Where would you suggest would be the best bet in order to sell them - I have contacted Mercian direct and they have said that they would be willing to advertise them on their own noticeboard.
Am I better just listing them on the forums here?

Thanks again, The couple will be very grateful.
The CTC website has a classifieds section. The members there being mainly touring cyclists, so I would say with a fixed price that's your best bet.

Matt

Thanks everyone for your help so far - I am going to get some full photos at the weekend and Mercian are going to give me the bikes ages too. So I will post a better set of Pics Monday.

No Shaun your right on the cost of care - that was my thinking on how they would use the money but your right. They are a couple in their 80s and never had kids, I think their Nephew suggested selling was the best bet and Peter was happy at the thought of an enthusiast getting some enjoyment out of them.

Thanks again, Matt

Matt, hi there ive just seen your advert on Gumtree, http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/merci ... to-content

A word of advise if you don't mind me saying,
Give them a good clean and polish, take some quality photographs and you will achieve more than what your asking for them,
they both deserve to be shown off in the best possible way. and you will see the rewards of a bit of TLC, Don't let them go for any less than they should, they will sell themselves!!!

Neil

Not been able to find frame numbers on either bike, am I just being thick? Don't answer that. I found 687 on one and Peters old postcode imprint. Just the number 2 on the king though. Any ideas? Matt

BITD frame makers would stamp anything on their frames if requested...... postcode and date of birth were popular.

Strange that Mercian didn't put their own number on them as well, they are usually very good and if you e-mail them a pic and number (if any) they can usually pin the frame down.......

Shaun

Back