Trek 2.3 - Stolen in Bristol on 9th Sept 2013 - CCTV footage

wurzelmike

Dirt Disciple
I know this bike can't be compared with an Ernie Clements design classic, and other such £20 car boot bargains I tend to post on here :D . But some people love them, so it's must be just as heart braking to have them stolen. And when it happens on your birthday when you're out having a meal with the Misses, it must be even more upsetting. This happened to an old friend on Monday in Bristol City Centre, when his red Trek 2.3 was stolen from out side the pub.

Being a clever kinda guy he visited the Pub opposite and asked if the incident was recorded on their camera. He was lucky, and although the quality isn't that great I'm sure any one who knows the Gent could easily I.D him.

Anyway he's taken the footage to the police hoping the chap in question might be familiar to them, and posted the video on youtube for all to see...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThmqXNa_rK8

What I found really shocking in this video was how 'professional' this Gentleman's technique was, I'm sure he's done this many times before, and I can't see many bikes being safe from him. So, look and learn, lock your bike up somewhere safe 'cus I'm sure he's looking for his next bike, or maybe even his next but one bike. He's a fast worker!

Re: Trek 2.3 - Stolen in Bristol on 9th Sept 2013

I know that spot well.

Have you reported it to stolen Bristol bikes?

Re: Trek 2.3 - Stolen in Bristol on 9th Sept 2013

It's a friends bike, but why should he report it to Bristol Bikes?

Ah, just found their website, thanks. I'll ask him :D

Re: Trek 2.3 - Stolen in Bristol on 9th Sept 2013 - CCTV foo

Bristol, a classic place for getting your bike nicked.

What kind of lock did your friend use?

They have done that before :(

Not a bike but I couple of years ago a complete cylinder head stolen from my car, the speed, neatness of the job was very professional, a nice neat cut through the wiring, a nice little pile of bolts inside the inner wing, even locked the car up again :shock:

Lucky I did not catch them though :evil: :evil:

WOO HOO! The Bristol Post has picked up the story :D I'm sure the gent in the video is regretting his dirty little deed already. And as the Boys and Girls in Blue are involved too the heat is on :D :D

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/VIDEO-Man- ... story.html

As James said Lets make this guy famous

Stay tuned to your friendly local bike forum for further installments :roll:

@ bugloss, not sure about the lock but the bikes seems to cost over a Grand new, I'm sure being a very sensible chap that he is he got a decent lock.
The speed with which the guy got the thing off I'm putting down to his experience :evil:

@ widowmaker, knicking car parts to order, bloody hell. Sorry to hear about that, unbelievable sometimes

"@ bugloss, not sure about the lock but the bikes seems to cost over a Grand new, I'm sure being a very sensible chap that he is he got a decent lock.
The speed with which the guy got the thing off I'm putting down to his experience"

Or a cable lock, which are totally useless in a place like Bristol (Speaking from first hand experience).
I know a very keen cyclist who's at the top of the police in Bristol and I'm sure they are doing their best.

With the video being of reasonable quality, someone is sure to know who this guy is.

The latest I've heard is that the Bristol Post Web story has been twittered (?) :roll: to the Mayor, the story's getting funnier by the day.

@bugloss, nice to know about the Bristol police, but I'm thinking this guy most move to bikes on somewhere else. Possibly along the M4 or M5 somewhere - pick up a small collection and then back home, to store for six months, before trying to flog them, that's what I would do.

@Ian, Yeah we've come across that story sounds great :D Not sure if the guy in the video would respond to something like that, be nice if he would.

@Star, I was thinking the same, if he spends much time in Bristol someone here must recognize him. Or at least he should get to hear about the Post story

Back