P.T. Stallard Montlhery

deliquium

Retro Guru
Just acquired a very nice condition 22" Montlhery frame and forks. Any information regarding these machines would be grateful.

I don't want to fit it up with absolute pin point period kit and I don't want to alter the frame. Trying to decide between 5 speed freewheel hubs or go down the hubgear route. Would like to have a bottom gear of around 32". Also want a single chainwheel.

EDIT: Updated as just heard back from Wolverhampton City Council dating the frame as 1948!

More pics HERE

Attachments

• PTS-Monthlery-2.jpg
    PTS-Monthlery-2.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 1,308
Re: P.T. Stallard Monthlery

Percy Stallard's shop was well known for the quality of its frames and he's generally accepted as the founder of modern day road racing in the UK, what you have here is part of British cycling heritage and more on his involvement can be found on:
<< http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/stallard.html >>
also if you can get hold of a copy of the DVD "Up The League" there's more on his contribution....

Excel":jludq0yl said:
Percy Stallard's shop was well known for the quality of its frames and he's generally accepted as the founder of modern day road racing in the UK, what you have here is part of British cycling heritage and more on his involvement can be found on:
<< http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/stallard.html >>
also if you can get hold of a copy of the DVD "Up The League" there's more on his contribution....

Thanks Excel. I'm very fortunate to have custody of this frame and its connections. Also he enjoyed hillwalking here in Snowdonia after his retirement it seems. The condition of this frame seems rather amazing given its age :D

Absolute thing of beauty, classic lines, and love the pump bosses on the rear of the seat tube :cool: :cool:

If it were mine I would go the 5 speed route after looking at the pictures on classic lightweights ;)

That's very nice. It looks very similar to one a mate of mine had. He originally came from the Wellington area so Percy Stallard was a relative local for him. Did you acquire yours locally?

Old Ned":3mqy26cz said:
That's very nice. It looks very similar to one a mate of mine had. He originally came from the Wellington area so Percy Stallard was a relative local for him. Did you acquire yours locally?

Came from Scotland via Ebay - I was the only bidder!

deliquium":2xcj4p85 said:
Old Ned":2xcj4p85 said:

Came from Scotland via Ebay - I was the only bidder!

Well, it's not his then! You've got something really special there, look after it!

Old Ned":1ksj1xoa said:
Well, it's not his then! You've got something really special there, look after it!
Yes, it's rather splendid. Not seen such macho aggressive lugs before :twisted: Looking forward to building it up and riding it. I really appreciate the delicate seat stays and elegant forks as well as the pedigree, as I do my 2 George Longstaff's - both made by George in the early 90s.

If I'm not mistaken, those "aggressive" lugs you're on about are the old Nervex. Not so uncommon back in their day. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I quite like them. :)

Can we get some pix of the Longstaffs please?

American Friend":9qv7tk4b said:
If I'm not mistaken, those "aggressive" lugs you're on about are the old Nervex. Not so uncommon back in their day. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I quite like them. :) Can we get some pix of the Longstaffs please?

I love the lugs too - I was looking at the frame earlier supping a thoughtful cup of tea and just considered those heavy metal bands like Iron Maiden (and ilk) and their pointy fonts an' stuff - then I got all Germanic vibes! I was amused :)

LONGSTAFF HERE - AND HERE

(Still have boxes of slides to scan of my previous trikes, tandem trikes, and tandems with only two wheels - all built by lovely George in the 90s)

Back