Rim suggestions for 70's racer please

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
As some of you may have noticed, I'm putting together a clubmans racer based on a late 1970's frame. My current mission is to find some 36 hole clincher rims.

I have raided Velobase's archive and have a long list of suitable rims, from Araya 16A through to Weinmann's, but constant searching of the bay and other possible sources has produced very little, other than the perfect pair of Mavic Module E rims that I forgot to bid on and which sold for £30 inc postage from France. :facepalm:

So, any suggestions of possible sources, OR more modern rims that look the part and which I can at least use to get the bike going while I continue searching for the genuine item.

I'm going with 700c, as I believe that's what the frame was used with previously.

I'll go and do a search for the Rigida rim.

Late 70's is when 700c 'clinchers' came in so Module E would be fine if you can find some. It really depends on how pedantic you are about having things exactly to period. MA40's in silver should look OK. What spoke count do you want? Do you have hubs?

I may be able to help with both?

Weinmann concave, Mavic Module E, Super Champion Gentlemen and Rigida 1320 spring to mind :D

Shaun

Midlife":2kfirt60 said:
Weinmann concave, Mavic Module E, Super Champion Gentlemen and Rigida 1320 spring to mind :D

Shaun
All on my list Shaun, they are just proving a bit troublesome to find.

Old Ned, 36 spokes and the hubs are Campag Record I think, but I've not looked that closely yet.

If I can get 70's rims that would be great, but I have no real objection to going with lookalikes, as it's only really me I am pleasing. If I go to L'Eroica or the other similar sportives in the future, I know that no one is going to stop me riding.

The whole build is, as much as anything, for the fun of it, but I would like to try to be true to the spirit of that period, even if I did not participate in it myself.

Plus, Shaun will be sure to point out any errors I do make. :oops: ;)

Right, found a couple of traders in France who seem to have a fair few rims.

The main choice is between Mavic Module E and Rigida 1320. The Mavics are a fair bit more, is that because they are that much better, or just more popular.

Provided they don't get too many bids (and there are three pairs available) they are currently twice the price, but still sensible given the price of a modern pair of rims.

Back