Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:23 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:05 pm 

Hi!

Just registered on here today, after dipping my toe into the world of retro bikes.

I was looking for a sturdy winter training steed and I have picked up an early 1990's (I think?) Dalesman. Pictures will come in due course for a true carbon dating (currently away from home - back Thursday), but I did have some questions.

1. The bike currently has been converted to 24 speed (I'm sure this isn't original) with stem mounted shifters -did any Dalesman's come with these shifters? I am looking at old catalogues online and they all look like they come with downtube shifters. I'd like to convert back to downtube shifters if this is the case (for the cleaner lines) - but when I took the hex bolts out of the cable stops/barrel adjusters on the downtube I was expecting them to fall off, but they didn't, they're on pretty securely - I didn't want to force them off in case it was like this from the factory. I'll take some pictures of what I mean when I get home.

2. The bike currently has the dual action "suicide" brake levers, so I can brake from the tops as well as hoods/drops. I don't like these as they seem to cause a hell of a rattle (although perhaps all brakes of this vintage do so) so if possible I would like to covert back to single action brakes. Not sure about "aero" brakes - would they look good or should I be keeping the looping cables as a period feature?

3. The bike came with guards, the front one is OK but the back has got some issues - anyone recommend a good set for this frame?

Thanks in anticipation - I hope this turns into a happy relationship.

B

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:40 pm 
Old School Grand Master

HI B,

welcome to the forum, apologises i cannot help with your queries though but i am sure others will be able to point you in the right direction.

Richard

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:23 pm 

Hi, I am back,

Pictures attached, I have started to strip the frame down as I've ordered some new cables and bar tape.

Anyone date this, also included pictures of the cable stops, does anyone know if these are after market or came with bikes of this age? If they didn't how do I get them off? They seem on pretty securely!

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:22 am 
Old School Grand Master

I agree with your date - looks to me around 1994 or so. The cable stops are stock Shimano ones for STI or bar-ends. They are just a push fit (you have undone the bolt already I see). They just need a bit of a wiggle as they are a snug fit.