'86 Raleigh Team Corsa 12 first outing

MrW

Senior Retro Guru
So, the bike had it's first 'outing' yesterday on the 'Sky Ride'

Slightly marred by the fact that my LBS had promised delivery of a brand new Michelin Dynamic Classic 700c X 23 before yesterday and then failed to deliver or even let me know it would get here in time. (I had already bought 1 from them last week) I therefore had to 'utilise' another road wheel from my other Raleigh which is still shod with a 28 year old Vredestein! (despite the cracks it held air and served its purpose)

It ran better than I had imagined it would, given it hasn't been ridden for years!

There was/is however one 'issue' and I'm sure other members have the same issue...

How on earth do you stop a 1986 bike from 20mph??!! A couple of 'hairy' moments yesterday when I realised that the brakes weren't really doing anything.

It's running the original Shimano 105 Golden Arrow QR calipers, with the original shimano brake blocks (still loads of life left in them) onto Weinmann alloy rims. It's been many years since I set up bicycle brakes, but thought I had managed to get them ok before I set off, how wrong could I have been?

Any suggestions?!

N.B Pic's of said bike will be posted in it's finished state once the new tyre is delivered from Decathlon.co.uk (whom were some £5 a tyre cheaper than my LBS)

Good story,

Having watched a bit of the Vuelta over the weekend, i notice that using feet as anchors seems the modern approach - bit like fashion, it comes around again.

On that topic, does anyone rememeber Nature Trek shoes - thick rubber soled shoes in early 80's. Lack of brakes caused me to remove half the sole of one shoe on a steep hill on my cousin's 10 sp Peugeot when i thought i was hitting a hedge. The shoes were never the same - they ended up like a triangular cheese underfoot. Oh, and my mother was not pleased!

Reminising along,

Richard

Back