L'eroica - attendance and preparations

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
I know there are several people going from here but equally that it'll be easy to get swallowed up in the general crowd - anyone fancy meeting up for a beer/glass of wine before, during or after? For ID out on the route, it might also be worth putting up what we intend to ride/wear?

On the preparation front I have dispensed with usual practice and have a working bike several weeks before the event with the intention of test riding (ok, I can't use the largest sprocket but that's mere detail). Lack of physical preparation may well return to haunt me though.

Anyway, who is going? Post up and I'll update the list:

ededwards - green/white Mercian - green Wiels wool jersey - yes to a beer - long route

johnsqual - red/white Flandria - Flandria wool jersey - yes to a beer - long route

montydog - Gios - blue Italian jersey - ? to a beer - long route

That's a fantastic read .... Just wish I was going now :cry:

I will be going. I'm planning to take my replica Flandria cyclocross bike, maybe with 28mm road tyres so it doesn't look too cyclocrossy.
My fantastic Mrs found a wool Flandria jersey for me too, so I will certainly look the prat. Sorry, part.

Regarding practical stuff, what are people doing for accommodation?
Is it possible to camp in Gaiole in Chianti? I have a vague idea that rough camping is legal in Italy, so is it possible to just pitch a tent?
Can't really see any other practical way to do it...

Cheers,

Johnny

the quarter wheeler read really gives you a nice teasing :cool:
I have some dura ace EX parts I am using regularly on my citybike in Paris
maybe should look for a pair of period wheels and shifters to built a late seventies bike :idea:
I am in my fifties, If ever I can retire :roll: , that may be a nice trip to do :D

BTW, if anyone else replies, is it worth adding whether they are doing the short or long route?

I'd like to have a crack at the long route, it seems a shame to go all that way and then not try it.

Johnsqual":rfs1vfwt said:
Regarding practical stuff, what are people doing for accommodation? Is it possible to camp in Gaiole in Chianti?

Although I haven't used it and have no idea how to book, there were loads of tents on a football pitch in the middle of Gaoile right next to the start so that's got to be the camping option. I'm staying at a hotel in Radda - the Little Boss is coming too so we are making a holiday of it - it's Villa Sant’Uberto Country Inn for what it is worth.

Distance wise, I went with the full distance in 2010 (a very long day in the saddle although I made the mistake of starting in the light) and the 135km last year which, if I am honest, was plenty and allowed a finish in the afternoon. I'm very undercooked physically this year but thinking of starting very early in the dark and seeing what happens (you're well into the ride when the course forks so can opt as you see fit then) although I feel that I should at least start off with 'heroic' intentions and that's certainly what I'll state at registration.

But, and most importantly, you didn't mention if you were up for a beer Johnny.

Beer? Oh yes. I've sorted someone out to bring my bike in a van, so I might
even be able to bring a case of something nice and Belgian if people are interested.

I'll be there and planning to ride the 205km - I'm staying at a hotel in Greve which is about 10 miles from Gaiole. I have a double/twin room booked and willing to share if anyone's interested.

I'll be riding my Gios and likely wearing a blue squadra Italia jersey

Latest posts

Back