Ernie Clements Roadbike

Ranger Bob

Retro Newbie
Hello, i'm new to this forum and have been trying to upload a new post with picture of my bike. Apparently I have to have uploaded one post before it will accept pics, etc. So hopefully now I've sent this, I will be able to send a photo of my bike. I'm interested to know if anyone else has a bike like mine? Also, if anyone can give me any information about it?
Pic to follow (hopefully!)

DSC00065.jpg

Sorry but i cannot help you with info on your bike although i'm loving that shifter on the stem. Most unusual. Maybe other can help, Looks quite nice though.

Clements

It’s difficult to find stuff on Clements that isn’t Falcon orientated. Anyway the best source is his son (E. Clements) who owns cyclesclements.co.uk. I bought a Clements last summer and absolutely love it. Google image search reveals some nice pics of the man racing on his own machine – reputed to have built frames for Tommy Simpson. Check out classiclightweights.co.uk (members bikes). There is one bike that shows really close clearances – way ahead of its time. One of things that I find interesting is that Clements was noted as Designer. Anyway, your frame looks very nice. Could you post an image of the Headbadge?[/img] ( I think i've posted image x 2)

It looks like the frame was originally a Falcon that has been re-painted. Ernie Clements own badge is different (although, as its been prised off then glued, it's difficult to say). Also, I,m not sure that EC built frames under his own name whilst he was director of Falcon. His last firm that lasted only 2/3 years in the early 80s was Clements (only). Thing is, it looks quite early in some ways - no gear bosses or FM hanger, no brake recesses, bottle eyes on DT only. It's also quite a close frame and the ends and fork crown look substantial - the crown makes it look proper. However, mudguard eyes suggests that it was not built as full-on racing frame.

Yes, I agree, it has definitely been repainted and the badge has been glued on. If it was an Ernie Clements rather than a Falcon, would there be a unique marking or number on the frame? I cannot find any number in the area of the BB or anywhere else for that matter.
Also, I have read about bikes with Reynolds 531 tubing and you can tap them to confirm this is so. What exactly should the sound be like?

I would research Falcons on the web and try and find some distinguishing feature to ID the bike - a popular bike in America - loads of images.

Flick (tap) the top tube (in the middle) with you finger nail and try to imagine the gauge of the steel from the sound. If it sounds thin - it's probably a quality steel such as 531. Also, it's weight should be a clue.
Look at the ends (where the wheel clamps), does it say 'brev campagnolo' or anything else.

Have you bought this bike recently - if so what were you told about it?

Ok, i've just got back in from my garage after tapping and weighing my bike. Firstly, I tapped the top tube and must confess, it didn't give the ring of a thin walled tube! However, when I flicked the vertical tube (one where seat pushes into) it most definitely did have a nice ring to it! Not sure what that means...maybe someone can offer some advice?

I also took the opportunity to weigh the bike using a set of bathroom weighscales. I first weighed myself, then me holding the bike. I did this a number of times, as the readings were not exactly the same after each weighing. After averaging the weight readings I came up with a figure of 24.5 lbs. Is this good, bad or indifferent? I haven't a clue!

In answer to the other questions, there are no obvious markings of any sort that I can find on the frame. I have owned this bike since the mid to late eighties. I bought it off a work colleague who, due to ill health, had no reason to keep hold of it. I don't know how long he had owned it, but he used to be a keen cyclist in his youth. Unfortunately, he went to the 'great velodrome in the sky' only a few years later, so I really dont have any history about this bike.
The only date I can find is on the rear Weinmann brake caliper. This is dated as 1979, but I really think the frame could be much older.

Back