Non retro bottle cage question?

47p2

Senior Retro Guru
Is it just me being stupid and buying the wrong cages or are all modern plastic and carbon cages utter rubbish. Once fitted to the frame and they have a bottle of water in they rattle about like a pair of ill-fitting false teeth. :shock: :shock:

Think I will buy some Elite alloy cages in the future.

I have a Blackburn weird but nice one on the basso which is a good design with no problems.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 509
I tried a few different sorts and found the Bontrager RL ones to be good, no rattle, light, sturdy. Considering what some companies charge for them, I think it wasn't a bad price either.

Not to be confused with the RXL, which looks similar but is carbon and therefore is more expensive.

Don't forget that bottles may be the rattlers just as much as cages. And I have an 'Elite' carbon cage that is lovely in every respect (not least its minimal weight and that it holds bottles gently and quietly) except it is totally wrong for the bike so I'm back now with two silver ally cages.

I removed an old Elite alloy cage from the tandem before selling and now fitted it to the Trigon to see if it makes any difference

ive stuck with alloy ones, whats the point in a light weight one when its got a heavy bottle in it lol

FYI Halfords have some nice alloy cages and they are not expensive/

Richard

BBB Fueltank 3. If the bottle is a bit skinny, I just bend it a bit.

Back