Brooks B15 and Campag seatpost dating / id

Giamaco

Dirt Disciple
A friend at work has a Brooks B15 attached to a Campagnolo seatpost that looks to be far earlier than anything I have seen (end of the eighties bikes are as old as I get). He took it from a raleigh quasar! he got for other parts

The Brooks is a B15, with the patent number stamped in the underside of the frame, the seat post has the old Campagnolo 'script' around the front just below the seat mount.

Just wondering if anyone can help identify the post and give a rough estimate of age? Not sure he is using these for anything, but will find out and if any interest he may well be looking to sell?

Links to photos;

IMG_0810_zps13b5df60.jpg

IMG_0811_zps3daf7031.jpg

IMG_0812_zps30b0cbdd.jpg

IMG_0813_zps0c466b76.jpg

IMG_0814_zpsc06db752.jpg

cheers

Hard to identify the post accurately from the pic, but I would guess at Nuovo Record, which Velobase dates from 1969 - 1980s. I'd estimate it's worth £15-20 in that condition.

As per normal though, I could be wrong!

This style of post goes back further than the Nuovo Record era and there are subtile differences that, take a subtle eye, and perhaps a photographic memory to sort but...

I have several including one that is on my '61 Bianchi so I will have a look. But isn't the key to this mystery in the date code on that Brooks? BTW That post should clean up nicely, I have had similar looking ones that are now quite respectable.

ok now:

After sleuthing about the Bike Garage I have found the some clues in the post age debate. Since I have an all original bike from 1961, the aforementioned Bianchi, and a similarly untouched 1974 Paramount both with Campagnolo seat posts the clearest difference seems to be the "PATENT CAMPAGNOLO" and post size stamping on the back. The earlier post seen on the left in the photo has smaller font size and is printed higher up on the post also on the later version the engraving seems to be less deep. lastly the newer post is noticeably thinner at the base. Now it is possible that these bike, though original had the posts switched at some point so I am open to debate.

Attachments

• Campagnolo posts 4 web.jpg
    Campagnolo posts 4 web.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 725
  • Campagnolo posts 3 web.jpg
    Campagnolo posts 3 web.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 725
To throw another in the post has the campagnolo script at the front but no trace at the rear, rather than being in capitals, will have another good luck at it tomorrow to see

you can just see the marking on the front of the post in these pictures;

IMG_0815_zpsdc68a2a3.jpg

IMG_0816_zps6c2695cb.jpg

thanks for the answers so far

The Brooks saddle has a patent number. That disappears some time in the early 60's (I've seen them on saddles dated A59 - C63). They aren't always dated, but I'd definitely clean up the underside of that cantle plate, especially at the right end (the right end, when the bike is upright, that is).

Back