Winter tyres?

bowsho

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Can anyone recommend a good set of winter tyres for commuting please? I'm currently running specialized armadillos (700x2:cool: on my cannondale bad boy hybrid. I'm after a bit more grip in the rain and ice after it got the better of me a couple of times last year! Thanks :D

Armadillos are wooden, horrible things - rubbish grip in the wet too IME. The only thing that's effective on ice /snow are metal studded tyres, but they're heavy and useless on everything else. Knobbly tyres won't give more grip on tarmac - in fact less because it's about the amount of rubber contacting the road. Schwalbe Marathon Plus is a good commuter tyre or Durano Plus if you want something lighter.

http://www.cyclecomponents.com/cgi-bin/ ... nj_ID=3301

And of the xx-622 ones should do the trick.
They deliver to the uk, or just try and find the relevant model elsewhere, one of the German sites would be cheaper.

The ones with no studs in the middle roll ok, and have some grip when you corner or let tyre pressures down a bit. You don't generally have enough ice to justify more than that in the UK. I use full studs (300+ per tyre) as I ride on sheet ice for 4 or 5 months!

Back